Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Student Photographs, 1914-1971
Overview of the Collection
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Student Photographs
- 1914-1971 (inclusive)19141971
- 0.75 Linear feet of shelf space, (2 Boxes)
- Collection Number
- PC 29 (collection)
- The collection consists of commercial portraits of Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine students.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Veterinary science has been a part of the curriculum of Washington State University from the institution's beginning in 1890. Within seven years, veterinary science expanded from one course to become a major division: the School of Veterinary Science. Upon completion of a three year program, the first class of Doctors of Veterinary Medicine were graduated in 1902. The school was designated the College of Veterinary Science in 1916, and the program of study was extended to four years. In 1925 the title was altered to the College of Veterinary Medicine. Reorganization in 1945 made the Veterinary College a subdivision of the Institute of Agricultural Sciences, however during the 1960's the College regained its autonomy. Presently the College of Veterinary Medicine is comprised of the departments of (1) Anatomy, Pharmacology/ Toxicology, and Physiology, (2) Clinical Medicine and Surgery, and (3) Microbiology and Pathology as well as five special programs.
Classes in veterinary medicine have been taught at Washington State University since the institution's beginning. In 1899 the veterinary program was organized into the School of Veterinary Science, and the granting of professional degrees for a three-year program in veterinary medicine was introduced. The first graduating class, consisting of two individuals, received their degrees in 1902. In 1906 the degree program expanded from three to four years of study.
Beginning in 1908 senior veterinary students were taught at a clinic in Spokane, where they could receive more practical experience, while all other students were taught in Pullman. This arrangement continued until 1923 when all teaching facilities and staff were brought to Pullman. In 1917, as a result of President E. O. Holland's reorganization of the institution, the School of Veterinary Science became the College of Veterinary Science. The name was altered to the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1925. In the 1930's the degree program was expanded to five years of study. Reorganization in 1944 made the College of Veterinary Medicine a subdivision of the Institute of Agricultural Sciences until, due to pressure from local and national veterinary organizations, the College regained its autonomy in 1950.
In 1979, in partnership with the University of Idaho, Montana State University and Utah State University, the Washington-Oregon-Idaho Regional Program in Veterinary Medical Education is formed, allowing students from various western states access to a veterinary medical education, without paying out-of-state tuition.
The School completed a new 110,000 square foot Veterinary Teaching Hospital in 1996. And in 2012 the Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health was created, committed to developing innovative strategies for the treatment and control of diseases that directly affect public health, economic development, and human opportunity.
A more extensive history of the College of Veterinary Medicine can be found in: Harriman, Peter, Pettit, Ghery D, Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine. "First Century: a Centennial History." Pullman: Washington State University; 1998.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of commercial portraits of Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine students.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions on Use
Copyright restrictions apply.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Student Photographs, 1914-1971 (PC 29)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Arranged chronologically according to the year of graduation.
The Washington State University Library acquired the photographs of veterinary medicine students from the Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine on September 19, 1978. (UA 78-35) The photographs were separated from the papers acquired in the same accession. Four additional small sets of materials were received from the vet. school at subsequent times (March 2001; 2007; May 2015; Dec. 2016) and added to the end of the collection.
This collection was processed by David Smestad in November, 1978.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1932-1975 (Archives 21)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1957-1973 (Archives 53)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 173)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1982 (Archives 379)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Associate Dean Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 177)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Microbiology and Pathology Department Records, 1954-1975 (Archives 47)
Washington State University Veterinary Clinical Medicine and Surgery Narcotics Register, 1957-1968 (Cage 4013)
Smithcors Collection of Veterinary History Documents, 1851-1996 (Cage 693)
Earl Edward Wegner Veterinary Medicine Photographs and Scrapbooks, 1905-1947 (PC 8)
Washington State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Construction Photographs, 1993-1996 (PC 183)
Washington State University Veterinary Facility Photographs, 1980s (PC 203)
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|2||9||Undated and unidentified|
|2||10||Class photo sets, misc. photos, and biographical photos, 1936-1941. Added 2007.|
|2||11||Class photo, 1943. Added Dec. 2016.|
|2||12||Company C group photo and roster, 1944. Added May 2015.|
|2||13||Class photos sets, ca. 1953-1988. Added March 2001.|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Veterinary medicine -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Photographs
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Records and correspondence
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Students -- Photographs