Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1982
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records
- 1976-1982 (inclusive)19761982
- 0.5 Linear feet of shelf space, (1 Box)
- Collection Number
- Archives 379 (collection)
- Papers related to fundraising and publicity activities of the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine and to the Veterinary Alumni Association.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Classes in veterinary medicine have been taught at Washington State University since the institution's beginning. In 1899 the veterinary program was organized into the School of Veterinary Science, and the granting of professional degrees for a three-year program in veterinary medicine was introduced. The first graduating class, consisting of two individuals, received their degrees in 1902. In 1906 the degree program expanded from three to four years of study.
Beginning in 1908 senior veterinary students were taught at a clinic in Spokane, where they could receive more practical experience, while all other students were taught in Pullman. This arrangement continued until 1923 when all teaching facilities and staff were brought to Pullman. In 1917, as a result of President E. O. Holland's reorganization of the institution, the School of Veterinary Science became the College of Veterinary Science. The name was altered to the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1925. In the 1930's the degree program was expanded to five years of study. Reorganization in 1944 made the College of Veterinary Medicine a subdivision of the Institute of Agricultural Sciences until, due to pressure from local and national veterinary organizations, the College regained its autonomy in 1950.
In 1979, in partnership with the University of Idaho, Montana State University and Utah State University, the Washington-Oregon-Idaho Regional Program in Veterinary Medical Education is formed, allowing students from various western states access to a veterinary medical education, without paying out-of-state tuition.
The School completed a new 110,000 square foot Veterinary Teaching Hospital in 1996. And in 2012 the Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health was created, committed to developing innovative strategies for the treatment and control of diseases that directly affect public health, economic development, and human opportunity.
A more extensive history of the College of Veterinary Medicine can be found in: Harriman, Peter, Pettit, Ghery D, Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine. "First Century: a Centennial History." Pullman: Washington State University; 1998.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of materials related to the College of Veterinary Medicine's publicity and fundraising activities, and to the Veterinary Medicine Alumni Association. The majority of the collection consists of materials related to two reports created by Linda Hines as outlines for fundraising for the College and for the creation of the Alumni Association. These reports, and their accompanying attachments, are included in the collection.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1982 (Archives 379)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Linda Hines donated this collection to the Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC) on December 2, 1995, where it was retained as MS 1995.36.
James Feller processed this collection in July, 2018.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1932-1975 (Archives 21)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1957-1973 (Archives 53)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 173)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Associate Dean Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 177)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Microbiology and Pathology Department Records, 1954-1975 (Archives 47)
Washington State University Veterinary Clinical Medicine and Surgery Narcotics Register, 1957-1968 (Cage 4013)
Smithcors Collection of Veterinary History Documents, 1851-1996 (Cage 693)
Earl Edward Wegner Veterinary Medicine Photographs and Scrapbooks, 1905-1947 (PC 8)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Student Photographs, 1914-1971 (PC 29)
Washington State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Construction Photographs, 1993-1996 (PC 183)
Washington State University Veterinary Facility Photographs, 1980s (PC 203)
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||Case Certificate in Program Management Level II - Alumni Administration and Educational Fund-raising (and attachments).||1979|
|1||2||Memoranda between Linda Hines and Leo Bustad.||1977|
|1||3||College of Veterinary Medicine publications and associated materials.||1980-1982|
|1||4||WSU Veterinary Medicine brochures and handouts.||1980-1982|
|1||5||Development of alumni publications.||1980-1981|
|1||6||WSU Veterinary school: research to benefit animals.||1979-1980|
|1||7||WSU Veterinary school teaching program.||1981-1982|
|1||8||WSU Veterinary school - examples of publications||1982|
|1||9||WSU Veterinary school: People-Pet Partnership (PPP) Program.||1981|
|1||10-11||Case Recognition Program report (and attachments).||1980|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Veterinary medicine -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Records and correspondence
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Records and correspondence