Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
- Overview of the Collection
- Content Description
- Use of the Collection
- Administrative Information
- Detailed Description of the Collection
- Names and Subjects
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1957-1973
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records
- 1957-1973 (inclusive)19571973
- 17 Linear feet of shelf space, (17 Boxes)
- Collection Number
- Archives 53 (collection)
- Correspondence and reports from the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, from 1957-1973.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Classes in veterinary medicine have been taught at Washington State University since the institution's beginning. In 1899 the veterinary program was organized into the School of Veterinary Science, and the granting of professional degrees for a three-year program in veterinary medicine was introduced. The first graduating class, consisting of two individuals, received their degrees in 1902. In 1906 the degree program expanded from three to four years of study.
Beginning in 1908 senior veterinary students were taught at a clinic in Spokane, where they could receive more practical experience, while all other students were taught in Pullman. This arrangement continued until 1923 when all teaching facilities and staff were brought to Pullman. In 1917, as a result of President E. O. Holland's reorganization of the institution, the School of Veterinary Science became the College of Veterinary Science. The name was altered to the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1925. In the 1930's the degree program was expanded to five years of study. Reorganization in 1944 made the College of Veterinary Medicine a subdivision of the Institute of Agricultural Sciences until, due to pressure from local and national veterinary organizations, the College regained its autonomy in 1950.
In 1979, in partnership with the University of Idaho, Montana State University and Utah State University, the Washington-Oregon-Idaho Regional Program in Veterinary Medical Education is formed, allowing students from various western states access to a veterinary medical education, without paying out-of-state tuition.
The School completed a new 110,000 square foot Veterinary Teaching Hospital in 1996. And in 2012 the Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health was created, committed to developing innovative strategies for the treatment and control of diseases that directly affect public health, economic development, and human opportunity.
A more extensive history of the College of Veterinary Medicine can be found in: Harriman, Peter, Pettit, Ghery D, Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine. "First Century: a Centennial History." Pullman: Washington State University; 1998.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Correspondence and reports from the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, from 1957-1973. Report topics include accreditation, planning, and student financial aid. Correspondence includes that from college and university officials, documents from the US government and a wide variety of associations.
The first series consists of Dean James Henderson's files from 1957-1972 and includes correspondence from professional colleagues, University offices and officials. The second series contains the general files of the Dean's office from the years 1968-1973. Included in this series are memoranda from other University departments, general correspondence and reports and topics such as accreditation, job opportunities, and planning. The third series contains general correspondence from 1957-1973, and includes correspondence with other colleges and universities, documents of the United States Government correspondence from a wide variety of associations related to the field of veterinary medicine, curriculum, and student financial aid opportunities.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1957-1973 (Archives 53)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The records are organized into three series, each arranged alphabetically by subject.
The records were transferred by the College of Veterinary Medicine to the University Archives in September 1978 (UA 78-35) in accordance with the approved records schedule.
This collection was processed between March and June 1980 by Andrew J. Gregg.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1932-1975 (Archives 21)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 173)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1982 (Archives 379)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Associate Dean Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 177)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Microbiology and Pathology Department Records, 1954-1975 (Archives 47)
Washington State University Veterinary Clinical Medicine and Surgery Narcotics Register, 1957-1968 (Cage 4013)
Western Veterinarian Records, 1975-1980 (Archives 129)
Smithcors Collection of Veterinary History Documents, 1851-1996 (Cage 693)
Earl Edward Wegner Veterinary Medicine Photographs and Scrapbooks, 1905-1947 (PC 8)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Student Photographs, 1914-1971 (PC 29)
Washington State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Construction Photographs, 1993-1996 (PC 183)
Washington State University Veterinary Facility Photographs, 1980s (PC 203)
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series 1: Dean Henderson's Correspondence Files, 1957-1972Return to Top
Series 2: Dean's Office General File, 1968-1973Return to Top
Series 3: General Correspondence File, 1957-1973Return to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Veterinary medicine -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Records and correspondence
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Records and correspondence
- Henderson, James A. (creator)