Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Washington State University Veterinary Facility Photographs, 1980s
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
- Washington State University Veterinary Facility Photographs
- 1980s (inclusive)19801989
- 0.25 Linear feet of shelf space, (1 Box)
- Collection Number
- PC 203 (collection)
- Images of veterinary facilities on or near the Washington State University Pullman campus in the mid 1980s. Includes an experiment farm owned near Wawawai, above the Snake River.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Classes in veterinary medicine have been taught at Washington State University since the institution's beginning. In 1899 the veterinary program was organized into the School of Veterinary Science, and the granting of professional degrees for a three-year program in veterinary medicine was introduced. The first graduating class, consisting of two individuals, received their degrees in 1902. In 1906 the degree program expanded from three to four years of study.
Beginning in 1908 senior veterinary students were taught at a clinic in Spokane, where they could receive more practical experience, while all other students were taught in Pullman. This arrangement continued until 1923 when all teaching facilities and staff were brought to Pullman. In 1917, as a result of President E. O. Holland's reorganization of the institution, the School of Veterinary Science became the College of Veterinary Science. The name was altered to the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1925. In the 1930's the degree program was expanded to five years of study. Reorganization in 1944 made the College of Veterinary Medicine a subdivision of the Institute of Agricultural Sciences until, due to pressure from local and national veterinary organizations, the College regained its autonomy in 1950.
In 1979, in partnership with the University of Idaho, Montana State University and Utah State University, the Washington-Oregon-Idaho Regional Program in Veterinary Medical Education is formed, allowing students from various western states access to a veterinary medical education, without paying out-of-state tuition.
The School completed a new 110,000 square foot Veterinary Teaching Hospital in 1996. And in 2012 the Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health was created, committed to developing innovative strategies for the treatment and control of diseases that directly affect public health, economic development, and human opportunity.
A more extensive history of the College of Veterinary Medicine can be found in: Harriman, Peter, Pettit, Ghery D, Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine. "First Century: a Centennial History." Pullman: Washington State University; 1998.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contain 262 black-and-white photographs and color slides taken in the mid 1980s, documenting the interiors and exteriors of research facilities and buildings on the Washington State University campus. Small veterinary sheds and research facilities such as those in this collection tended to not be exceedingly long-lived, and many have been built and subsequently razed over the history of the university.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright restrictions apply. Materials are under university copyright until 120 years from their mid-1980s creation.
Washington State University Veterinary Facility Photographs, 1980s (PC 203)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The majority of the collection is photographic prints and slides, which have been sorted into folders based on buildings and general areas, and organized by the campus-assigned building numbers. Those lacking numbers or strong identification are near the end. Slides which do not overlap the other buildings are in the final folder.
Pattie Haley, program administrative manager with the WSU Animal Resource Unit found these photographs on a long-abandoned and untouched shelf in Bustad Hall in 2022. She gave them to Lynn Haley, director of development for Veterinary Medicine, who in turn transferred them to WSU Libraries’ Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections on March 16, 2022, where they were retained as UPC 2022-02.
University archivist Mark O’English processed these materials in late March, 2022.
A single ephemeral piece of Seattle Mariners / Kodak promotional material found in one of the negatives envelopes was transferred to the Historical Ephemera Collection, 1880-2016 (SC 004).
WSU Buildings Photographs, 1892-2016 (PC 3) contains photographs of the more mainstream campus facilities, including the major veterinary buildings.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1932-1975 (Archives 21)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1957-1973 (Archives 53)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 173)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1976-1982 (Archives 379)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Associate Dean Records, 1976-1978 (Archives 177)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Microbiology and Pathology Department Records, 1954-1975 (Archives 47)
Washington State University Veterinary Clinical Medicine and Surgery Narcotics Register, 1957-1968 (Cage 4013)
Smithcors Collection of Veterinary History Documents, 1851-1996 (Cage 693)
Earl Edward Wegner Veterinary Medicine Photographs and Scrapbooks, 1905-1947 (PC 8)
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine Student Photographs, 1914-1971 (PC 29)
Washington State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Construction Photographs, 1993-1996 (PC 183)
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||44. McCoy Hall.
|1||2||45. Wegner Hall.
|1||3||68. Veterinary Research Building / Lepto.
|1||4||140. Arab barn.
|1||5||141. Pens and shelters.
|1||6||141g. Large Animal Training Barn.
|1||7||142a-b. Upper and lower goat barns. Also as
Swine Labs, Cattle pens.
|1||8||164a-c. Veterinary Research
|1||10||166b-d. Veterinary Experiment
|1||11||167. Small Animal Holding
|1||12||169. Large animal holding barn.
|1||13||193. Wegner Farm
|1||14||197l; 199a-f. Horse Disease Lab; Quarantine
|1||15||807. Bustad Hall / Veterinary Science
|1||17||Dog runs (hill east of Airport
|1||19||Campus misc. Includes Equine Track, Spillman
Hall, and unidentified.
|1||20||Wawawai experiment farm. 8 black and white
photographic prints, 73 color photographs with negatives, 14 slides, one
|1||21||Slides. Includes locations identified as Area
A, B, C, C’, D, and F’, as well as a Birds of Prey building.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Architecture -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Photographs
- Veterinary medicine -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Photographs
- Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Buildings -- Photographs