Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Thomas E. Futrall Records, 1914-1929
- Futrall, Thomas E. (Thomas Eugene), 1875-1946
- Thomas E. Futrall Records
- 8 volumes
- Collection Number
- Collection 2068, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Thomas E. Futrall Records consist of eight volumes of financial record books for his dry goods business from 1914-28. The volumes record transactions on a day to day basis (Cash/Day books), transactions by named customer or vendor (Account Ledger books) and a comprehensive inventory of the Futrall store in 1917. Some personal information is also present such as a listing for winners in a potato growing contest in Ennis, personal banking information, and a list of household property.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Thomas E. Futrall was born in Arkansas on February 12, 1875. He was the son of Thomas A. Futrall, a former Confederate officer and brother to John C. Futrall, president of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, from 1913-1939. Thomas E. Futrall and his wife, Louise, started a dry goods business in Ennis, Montana in 1913. It was the third store of its type in town and was known as T.E. Futrall Dry Goods. Futrall eventually moved to San Bernadino, California, where he died August 20, 1946.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Thomas Futrall records consist of eight volumes of financial record books for his dry goods business from 1914-28. The volumes record transactions on a day to day basis (Cash/Day books), transactions by named customer or vendor (Account Ledger books) and a comprehensive inventory of the Futrall store in 1917. Although the majority of entries deal with the financial matters of the store, some personal information is present, such as the listing of winners in Vol. 2 for a potato growing contest in Ennis, personal banking information, and a list of household property in Vol. 3.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Financial records kept by Thomas E. Futrall were donated to Special Collections by the Madison Valley Women's Club, of Ennis Montana, in 1977. The collection was formerly listed in the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections as entry 79-659.
This collection was processed 2009 August 25
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Volume 1: Cash/Day book||1914-1921|
|1||Volume 2: Journal book||1915-December 1917|
|1||Volume 3: Inventory book||1917|
|1||Volume 4: Cash/Day book||1922-1926|
|1||Volume 5: Cash/Day book||1927-1929|
|2||Volume 6: Account Ledger||December 1916-May 1920|
|2||Volume 7: Account Ledger||1927-1928|
|3||Volume 8: Account Ledger||1921-1926|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- T.E. Futrall Dry Goods (Ennis, Mont.)-Archives
Form or Genre Terms
- Financial records-Montana-Ennis
- T.E. Futrall Dry Goods (Ennis, Mont.) (creator)