- Coates, EarlCoates, Mabel
- Oral History Interview with Mr. Earl and Mrs. Mabel Coates
- circa 1979 (inclusive)19791979
- 1 sound cassette.
- Collection Number
- SPC 980-0107 (collection)
- This collection contains an interview with Mr. Earl and Mrs. Mabel Coates who discuss their experiences as African Americans living in Spokane.
- Eastern Washington University
Archives and Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections
Eastern Washington University Libraries
320 Media Lane - 100 LIB
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Earl Coates was born in Tennessee in 1892, and first came to Spokane in 1909. He studied music theory at Western University in Kansas City and served in the Army during World War I. Coates was later president of the Spokane Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Earl married Mabel McDade, a domestic worker from Dermott, Arkansas, on October 28, 1955 in Spokane, Washington.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains an interview with Mr. Earl and Mrs. Mabel Coates. In the interview, the Coates discuss their experiences as African Americans living in Spokane.
This collection is part of the Inland Northwest Black History Collection. See "Related Materials" note for related collections.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Use of this collection is subject to the rules concerning access to archival and manuscript collections at Eastern Washington University. For more information, see: http://www.ewu.edu/Library/Services/Archives.xml
Copyright restrictions may apply. For more information or permission to publish, contact Eastern Washington University Libraries, Archives & Special Collections at (509) 359-2475, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oral History Interview with Mr. and Mrs. Earl Coates; SPC 980-0107; box number; folder number; Archives & Special Collections, Eastern Washington University.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Dr. Joseph Franklin; 1980
The Oral History Interview with Mr. and Mrs. Earl Coates is part of the Inland Northwest Black History Collection, which also contains the following collections:
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- African Americans--Washington (State)--Spokane
- African Americans--Washington (State)--Spokane--Social conditions
- African Americans--Washington (State)--Spokane--Social life and customs
- Personal Names :
- Coates, Earl--Interviews
- Coates, Earl--Mrs.--Interviews
- Geographical Names :
- Spokane (Wash.)--Race relations
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Interviews (Sound recordings)
- Oral histories
- Sound recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Coates, Earl (creator)
- Coates, Mabel (creator)
- Franklin, Joseph -- 1936 -- interviewer (creator)