University of Montana Women’s Club Records, 1917-1981

Overview of the Collection

Creator
University of Montana Women's Club
Title
University of Montana Women’s Club Records
Dates
1917-1981 (inclusive)
Quantity
1.0 linear foot
Collection Number
Mss 597
Summary
The collection contains constitutions, minutes, clippings, correspondence, financial records, and other materials from the University of Montana Women’s Club, formerly the Faculty Women’s Club.
Repository
University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
59812-9936
Missoula, MT
Telephone: 4062432053
Fax: 4062434067
library.archives@umontana.edu
Access Restrictions

Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and the University of Montana--Missoula.

Languages
English

Historical NoteReturn to Top

In 1917, a group of women, wives of university faculty and faculty themselves, organized with the object of “promoting good fellowship among its members and [to] further the social welfare of the University.” Creating the Faculty Women’s Club, this group of women entertained, supported and enhanced University life. Some of its early members included Mrs. Sisson, Mrs. Merriam, Mrs. Clapp, and Mrs. Pantzer. Projects included a kitchenette for the Student Union building, the Junior Award for girls, the Synadelphic House for Women and general social events. At the end of each monthly meeting, the women entertained various speakers and presentations, from the Montana Power Company’s “Beams of Light” to Scottish Ballads with piano accompaniment.

In 1967, the name of the organization changed to The University of Montana Women’s Club. The Club assisted several Missoula community organizations such as the Y.W.C.A. [Young Women’s Christian Association], the Missoula Museum of the Arts, and the Missoula Children’s Theater.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The collection contains constitutions, minutes, clippings, correspondence, financial records, and other materials from the University of Montana Women’s Club, formerly the Faculty Women’s Club.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana

Preferred Citation

University of Montana Women’s Club Records, Archives and Special Collections, University of Montana-Missoula.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top

Acquisition Information

The collection consists of four accessions of materials donated by Mrs. McBroom (1973), Unknown (1978), Lenora Koelbel (1978), and The University of Montana Women’s Club (1978).

Processing Note

The collection is organized by material type.

Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder
1/1 Constitution and Minutes 1917-1936
1/2 Minutes 1937-1941
1/3 Minutes 1941-1945
1/4 Minutes 1946-1948
1/5 Minutes 1951-1955
1/6 Minutes 1958-1966
1/7 Minutes 1966-1969
1/8 Minutes 1969-1970
1/9 Minutes 1971-1975
2/1 Clippings 1926-1936
2/2 Constitutions, membership, correspondence, miscellaneous 1947-1959
2/3 Correspondence 1974-1975
2/4 Correspondence 1976-1977 and undated
2/5 Correspondence 1977-1978
2/6 Miscellaneous undated
2/7 Accounts ledger 1932-1943
2/8 Accounts ledger 1957-1969
2/9 Newsletter 1981

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

Subject Terms

  • College teachers' spouses --Montana--Missoula--Societies, etc.
  • Women college teachers -- Montana--Missoula--Societies, etc.
  • Women--Montana -- Missoula--Societies and clubs

Corporate Names

  • University of Montana-Missoula--Societies, etc.
  • State University of Montana (Missoula). Faculty Women's Club

Other Creators

  • Corporate Names
    • Montana State University (Missoula). Faculty Women's Club
    • University of Montana (Missoula, Mont.). Faculty Women's Club