Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Young Mens Christian Association Records, 1906-1971
Overview of the Collection
- Young Mens Christian Association Records
- 1906-1971 (inclusive)19061971
- approximate 105 items, ( 1 linear feet), ( 3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Archives 132
- The collection is comprised of auditors' reports, council reports, annual reports, reports of news, handbooks, newsletters, booklets, programs, announcements, and other papers. Also included are a small number of items that refer to the YWCA.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
The Collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Young Men's Christian Association was organized in London in June, 1844. The YMCA branch at Washington State College began operation in 1894. An Advisory Board was organized in 1908. Governing bodies for the organization have included an Executive Council and an Advisory Board and later a Student Cabinet and Board of Trustees. Eventually, the organizations was able to maintain a staff of employees.
Services performed by the YMCA during its history on the campus of WSU include but are not restricted to the following activities: Bible study, devotional meetings, meeting of trains, temporary care of baggage, operation of an information bureau, location of housing for students, publication of the Student's Handbook, operation of an employment bureau, provision of a forum to discuss religious issues, sponsor symposiums and faculty-senior retreats, conduct model United Nations programs for high school students, show movies on campus, tutor children from the community, sponsor cultural exchange programs, support Big Brother and Big Sister Programs, and sponsor the New Student Camp Program.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The records of the YMCA at Washington State University span the years 1906 to 1971, with the bulk dates being 1930 to 1955. They have been organized into a single sequence, alphabetized except where other factors took priority. For example, all reports have been kept together. The collection is comprised of auditors' reports, council reports, annual reports, reports of news, handbooks, newsletters, booklets, programs, announcements, and other papers. Also included are a small number of items that refer to the YWCA.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||Reports of Student Organization for Association Years
|2||2||Annual Report (YMCA and YWCA)
|2||5||Council Reports [contains organization minutes]
|2||6||Reports [contains organization minutes]
|2||7||Advisory Board Financial Statements
|2||8||Brochures and Pamphlets
|2||9||Correspondence And Reports
|2||12||New Student Album (Sneak Preview)
|2||13||New Student Camp Programs
|2||14||Programs and Notices For Events
|2||15||The Y's Cougar
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--Religious life--Archives
- Student activities--Archives
- Washington State University--Societies, etc.--Archives
- YMCA (Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.)--Archives (creator)
- YMCA (Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.)--Records and correspondence
- YWCA (Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.)--Records and correspondence
- YMCA (State College of Washington, Pullman, Wash.). (creator)