Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art records, 1915-2007  PDF  XML

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art; Warner, Gertrude Bass, 1863-1951
Title
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art records
Dates
1915-2007 (inclusive)
Quantity
41 linear feet, (36 containers)
Collection Number
UA 120
Summary
The University of Oregon's art museum first opened its doors to the public on June 10, 1933; it was renovated and reopened in 2005 as the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (MOA). The collection (1915-2007) contains records of the Museum and the Friends of the Museum of Art organization, and material includes correspondence and minutes, history files, exhibit and loan material, acquisition files, photographs, and building records among other material.
Repository
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SCUA
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR
97403-1299
Telephone: 541-346-3068
spcarref@uoregon.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.

Additional Reference Guides

See the Current Collection Guide for detailed description and requesting options.

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).


Historical NoteReturn to Top

The University of Oregon's art museum opened its doors to the public on June 10, 1933. Designed by Ellis F. Lawrence, the UO dean of the School of Architecture & Allied Arts (1914-1946), the museum was built to house the Murray Warner Collection of Oriental Art. The collection consisted of more than 3,000 objects given to the University by Gertrude Bass Warner in 1921 as a memorial to her late husband.

With its elegant exterior brickwork, decorative moldings and iron grillwork, the original museum building is one of the most distinctive architectural structures in Oregon. The museum is listed on the National Register for Historic Places.

In October 2002 the art museum broke ground for an expansion and renovation project. With its new name-â€" Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art-â€"in recognition of its major donor, the museum reopened in 2005.

Source: Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art website: http://jsma.uoregon.edu/about/history.aspx

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

Material is organized by accession and includes the following material: (lists are not comprehensive)

Accession: 1996.105: Building records, 1924-1929 (filed with Acc. # 10513).

Accession: 10726: General Museum records, 1968-1972.

Accession: 10.031: Exhibits and advisory board records, 1932-2007.

Accession: 1996.694: Campus planning files, ROTC reports and committee records, acquisitions, and Friends of the Museum minutes, 1972-1983.

Accession: 1996.545: Exhibit records and office files, 1969-1973.

Accession: 1996.548: Exhibit records and office files, 1979-1986.

Accession: 1996.507: Exhibits, 1973-1979.

Accession: 2002s.66: Exhibits and accounting files, rentals, artist sales, gift shop, exhibit, and accounts, 1971-1995.

Accession: 10.979.A: Exhibit files, Board of Governors, museum staff meetings, material about Morris Graves and Nancy Wilson Ross, 1955-1975.

Accession: 11.180.A: General Museum records and friends of the museum records, minutes, and acquisition records, 1974-1980.

Accession: 11.305.A: Minutes, acquisition files, and publicity, 1970-1977.

Accession: 11.306.A: Friends of the Museum records, office files, flea marts, 1975-1977.

Accession: 11.561.A: Office files, minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, and Friends of the Museum records, 1965-1980.

Accession: 1996.631: Friends of the Museum and docent records, office files and minutes, 1975-1994.

Accession 1996.542.A: Exhibit records and office files, 1986-1988.

Accession: 10513: Gerlinger files, letters and lists dealing with Gerlinger Hall and its furnishings, 1915-1928.

Accession: 10144: Office files, financial records, correspondence, administrative subject files including Museum history, loans, exhibits, Gertrude Bass Warner, library, acquisitions, Festival of the Arts, TV productions, and correspondence of Jiro Harada, 1947-1967.

Accession: 10726: General Museum records, 1968-1972.

Accession: 10926: Museum planning committee minutes, architectural analysis, and office files, 1975-1978.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

Subject Terms

  • College art museums--Oregon--Eugene
  • Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
  • Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene

Personal Names

  • Graves, Morris, 1910-2001
  • Harada, Jiro
  • Ross, Nancy Wilson, 1901-1986
  • Warner, Gertrude Bass, 1863-1951
  • Warner, Gertrude Bass, 1863-1951
  • Warner, Murray, 1869-1920

Corporate Names

  • University of Oregon
  • University of Oregon. Museum of Art
  • University of Oregon. Museum of Art. Friends of the Museum

Form or Genre Terms

  • Correspondence
  • Museum records
  • Photographs