- Peace Lutheran Church (Astoria, Or.)
- Peace Lutheran Church, Astoria, Oregon, Records
- 1883-2012 (inclusive)18832012
- 2 files
- Collection Number
- OPVELCA7a4_149 (collection)
- Collection contains the records of Peace Lutheran Church in Astoria, Oregon.
- Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
(Folder #1) This folder contains a congregational historical record, correspondence, a pamphlet about Finnish setters in North America, various bulletins including one from the 107th anniversary (1987), one from a English–Finnish worship (1987), one from the installation of Rev. Jerry Buss and one from the installation of Rev. Jane M. Bengtson, Approved Constitution for the Congregations of the LCA, news clippings, Articles of Incorporation for Zion (1967), booklets for Zion’s 75th and 90th anniversary celebrations, a photo of children at Peace, and a pamphlet from the Festival of the Reformation. (Folder #2) This folder contains correspondence, various bulletins including one from the installation of Rev. William A. Williams at Zion and one from Peace Lutheran’s 110th anniversary, a survey of records from defunct congregations (Trinity), official calls, a proposed budget for Trinity (1972), a pastor’s report for Trinity (1974), a parish profile for Trinity (1974) and for Zion (1973), an agenda for meeting of council of consolidated Trinity-Zion congregation (1974), a proposed agreement of consolidation, a graph of baptized member by age at Trinity and Zion, Trinity and Zion consolidation study, Trinity and Zion consolidation committee meeting, graphs and charts of church finances, parish membership, attendance and education, Zion budget goals (1974), minutes and report from an annual meeting of Zion (1974), and council meeting minutes for Trinity and Zion. Collection is available for research
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Germans, Finns and Swedes; the Suomi synod, Augustana and ULCA; buildings of frame, concrete and brick – all these plus faith and hope, patience and hard work, and more than one hundred years, went into the making of what is now Peace Lutheran in Astoria. There were also leaders like veteran missionary Peter Carlson in 1880, young Seminary graduate J. J. Hoikka in 1883, and Pastor G. K. Andeen in 1929, plus many others who preceeded and prayed, organized and merged the various congregations that are a part of the history of Peace. The predecessor churches, known as Old First, Memorial, Finnish, and Trinity all have their own distinctive histories and traits. Some 700 baptized and 560 confirmed members make up this congregation of several previous congregations and synods, including a German congregation organized in 1870. It is one of Oregon’s oldest Lutheran congregations and it stands as a beacon of faith on the edge of the Pacific Ocean and the mouth of the mighty Columbia River.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder
From the Peace Lutheran Church, Astoria, Oregon, Records, OPVELCA7a4_149, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Transferred to ELCA Region I Archives. .
To search and view digitized images of congregations, visit our Digital Assets Website
Nesvig, Swanson, Nordquist, Emerson New Partners. Old Roots.Tacoma, (Wash.)ALC, LCA, and ELC1986
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Councils and synods--Mergers
- Andeen G. K.
- Arbaugh, William C., 1986-
- Backman, A. E.
- Dornfeld, Steven C.
- Glim, O. N.
- Hoikka, J. J.
- Torkko, Evert E.
- Berggren, Clifford G., 1974-1975
- Kuusisto, W. V.
- Ostrom, Oscar
- Pearson, Charles
- Riipa, Adolph
- Virtanen, A. A.
- Almen, C. W.
- Anderson, A. G.
- Bilansky, Robert A., 1979-1981
- Carlson, Peter
- Clark, Forrest J., 1975-1985
- Edlund, J. A.
- Elm, David J.
- Eloheimo, J. W.
- Gonka, S. H.
- Hagelberg, M. E.
- Hakala, E.
- Jansen, Theodore
- Kaskinen, F. W.
- Kava, F. V.
- Kempe, J. Walton
- Korhonen, Arvo J.
- Larson, E. Arthur
- Leiviska, Hannes
- Marin, John
- Okerstrom, Albert
- Rissanen, K. G.
- Rydquist, Gustaf
- Tanner, Henrick
- Trojan, R. H.
- Vahlquist, Rudolph
- Williams, William A., 1974-1975
- Williamson, W.
- Old First Lutheran Church
- Memorial Lutheran Church (Astoria, Or.)
- Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod of North America
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--Oregon Synod
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
- Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Church of America
- Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
- Trinity Lutheran Church (Astoria, Or.)
- Astoria (Or.)