Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
American Society of Landscape Architects, Pacific Northwest Chapter records, 1959-1991
Overview of the Collection
- American Society of Landscape Architects. Pacific Northwest Chapter
- American Society of Landscape Architects, Pacific Northwest Chapter records
- 1959-1991 (inclusive)19591984
- .63 cubic foot (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- 4447 (Accession No. 4447-003)
- Records of a professional organization founded in 1959 for landscape architects in the Northwest states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Alaska and the province of British Columbia.
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was partially provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Pacific Northwest Chapter of the American Association of Landscape Architects (ASLA) was founded by eleven landscape architects on October 17, 1959 to serve Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Alaska and the province of British Columbia. Chapter officers were drawn from throughout the region and a two- or three-day chapter meeting was held annually.
In 1961 the Washington and Oregon sections of the chapter were authorized. Eventually, Montana-Idaho and Alaska sections were added. In 1971, the Pacific Northwest Chapter hosted the ASLA Annual Meeting in Portland, Oregon. In 1973, the Pacific Northwest Chapter of ASLA was divided into the chapters of Washington, Oregon, and Montana-Idaho. The fourth section, Alaska, became a chapter in 1976.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of Pacific Northwest Chapter of ASLA contain the administrative records of the chapter, as well as some records from the national organization. Chapter records contain correspondence, minutes, reports, financial records, legislation, speeches and writings, membership records and applications, newsletters and ephemera.
Most of the correspondence is Robert L. Woerner's, who was president/chairman of the chapter from 1962 to 1965.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions on Use
Creator's literary rights not transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
American Society of Landscape Architects, Pacific Northwest Chapter, Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle, Washington.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Arranged into two series:
- Administrative records, 1959-1973, 1984, 1991
- American Society of Landscape Architects records, 1955-1972
Source: Robert L. Woerner, 1993 and 1998.
Processed by Marika Pineda; processing completed in 2007
Accession 4447-3 is a merger of accessions 4447-1 and 4447-2.
Issues of Washington landscape architecture: newsletter of the Washington Chapter, American Society of Landscape Architects, 1975-1976, transferred to the University of Washington Libraries Architecture and Urban Planning Library, 2006.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series 1: Administrative records, 1959-1984Return to Top
The Administrative records series primarily documents the period between 1959 and 1974 of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects. The series contains constitutions, correspondence, minutes, reports, financial records, legislation, speeches and writings, membership records, newsletters and ephemera. Much of the correspondence is from Robert L. Woerner and other ASLA trustees. Minutes document meetings for the regional chapter, as well as Washington and Oregon sections of the chapter. Membership records include a memorial on David E. Thompson, 1906-1971.
Meeting file for American Society of Landscape Architects and Oregon Society of Landscape Architects joint meetings
|1966, 1972, undated|
Applications and correspondence
Frederick Cuthbert information
Series 2: American Society of Landscape Architects records, 1955-1972Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 2/7-2/8
This series contains documents of the national organization, American Society of Landscape Architects. The files contain articles on professional guidelines, admissions, chapter sections, policies, the organization's constitution, meeting minutes, writings and reports.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Landscape architects--Northwest, Pacific--Societies and clubs--Archives
- Landscape architecture--Northwest, Pacific
- Professional associations--Northwest, Pacific
- Woerner, Robert L.--Correspondence
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- American Society of Landscape Architects, Pacific Northwest Chapter--Archives
- Northwest, Pacific--Societies, etc.--Landscape architecture
Form or Genre Terms
- Financial records
- Membership lists
- Speeches, addresses, etc
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)