- Oregon State University. Office of the President.
- President's Office Motion Picture Film and Videotapes
- 1961-1996 (inclusive)19611996
- 0.4 cubic foot, including 1 film and 7 videotapes, (3 boxes)
- Collection Number
- FV P 092
- The President's Office Motion Picture Film and Videotapes consist of recordings of special events and speeches at Oregon State University (OSU) including the retirements of OSU Presidents Robert W. MacVicar in 1984 and John V. Byrne in 1996 and statements by Oregon Governor Mark Hatfield and President A.L. Strand at the signing of the 1961 bill to re-name Oregon State College to Oregon State University.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
On March 6, 1961, Governor Mark Hatfield signed into law the legislative act which changed the name of the institution from Oregon State College to Oregon State University. A.L. Strand served as president of Oregon State from 1942 until his retirement in 1961.
Robert W. MacVicar came to Oregon State University in 1970 and served as the University President from then until his retirement in 1984. He was followed as President by John V. Byrne who served for 11 years until the end of 1995. Byrne's OSU career began in 1960 as faculty member in the Oceanography Department. He became the first Dean of the School of Oceanography in 1972 and subsequently served as Dean of Research, Acting Dean of the Graduate School, and Vice President for Research and Greaduate Studies between 1976 and 1981. He left OSU in 1981 to head the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a position he held until he returned to OSU in 1984.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The President's Office Motion Picture Film and Videotapes consist of recordings of special events and speeches at Oregon State University. The collection includes 7 videotapes (2 VHS and 5 3/4" Umatic) and one motion picture film (16 mm).
The motion picture was filmed on March 6, 1961 at the signing by Oregon Governor Mark Hatfield of the legislative bill that changed the name of Oregon State from "College" to "University" [FV P092:4]. The b/w film (about 4 minutes with sound) includes statements by Hatfield and OSU President A.L. Strand. The footage also includes a statement by Strand on OSU's continuing role as the "agricultural" college of Oregon. A VHS use copy of the film is available in the Archives.
The videotapes include recordings of the retirement reception for Robert W. MacVicar on October 31, 1984 (one 20-min 3/4" Umatic tape) and his retirement dinner on November 17th (two 60-min 3/4" Umatic tapes) [FV P092:1-3]. A video tribute to John Byrne prepared for his retirement celebration in early 1996 is included. The 8-minute video was prepared by Lynn Ketchum of Extension and Experiment Station Communications. The collection includes two 3/4" Umatic SP videotapes [FV P092:6].
The collection includes a VHS videotape recording of President John Byrne's report to the Faculty Senate on February 4, 1993 about the proposed reorganization of the central administration following a review of administrative costs and structure during 1992 [FV P092:5]. The recording is 33 minutes long and was made by the Communication Media Center. The second VHS videotape documents damage to campus sidewalks and structures caused by skateboards; it was used at hearings held by the Legal Advisor for proposed campus regulations on skateboard use. The recording was made in 1990.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
President's Office Motion Picture Film and Videotapes (FV P 092), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The videotapes were transferred from the President's Office in several accessions in the 1980s and 1990s.
Additions to the collection are expected.
The President's Office Records (RG 013) and Photographs (P 092) include extensive documentation of the adminstration of Oregon State University and additional materials pertaining to the topics in this collection. The Archives' holdings also include the Robert W. MacVicar Papers and the Faculty Senate Records (RG 044).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College presidents--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Byrne, John Vincent, 1928-
- MacVicar, Robert William, 1918-
- Oregon State University--Administration.
Form or Genre Terms
- Motion pictures (visual works)
- Byrne, John Vincent, 1928- (creator)
- Ketchum, Lynn. (creator)
- Strand, A. L. (August Leroy), 1894- (creator)
- Oregon State University. Faculty Senate. (creator)
- Oregon. Governor (1959-1967 : Hatfield) (creator)