Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Thomas Redding Tannatt Papers, 1876-1882
- Tannatt, Thomas, 1833-1913.
- Thomas Redding Tannatt Papers
- 1876-1882 (inclusive)18761882
- 0.25 Linear feet of shelf space, (1 Box)
- Collection Number
- Cage 4545 (collection)
- Correspondence of Thomas Redding Tannatt, General Eastern Passenger and Immigration Agent, New York, mostly to Henry Villard, President of the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Thomas R. Tannatt graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1858 and rose to the rank of Brevet-General in the United States Army in 1864. A civil engineer by profession, Tannatt was the manager of several Colorado mines in the years after the Civil War, but was unable to continue strenuous activities because of a war disability. He returned to the East and became associated with the Henry Villard financial and railroad interests. Due to his work with Henry Villard, he eventually relocated to Walla Walla, Washington. Recurring health problems forced Tannatt into semi-retirement in 1887 and he moved to Farmington, Washington, a town he had earlier platted. There he was an orchardist, land developer, hardware merchant (with a store at Palouse) and silent partner in a brick works in Spokane. He was also a Regent of Washington State University from 1893-1901.
Source: Guide to the Tannatt Family Papers 1813-1919, (Cage 65); Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of photostatic copies of the correspondence of Thomas Redding Tannatt, during his time as the General Eastern Passenger and Immigration Agent in New York for the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company. The bulk of the correspondence is to Henry Villard, President of the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Thomas Redding Tannatt Papers, 1876-1882 (Cage 4545)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Originals at: Harvard University Library
Tannatt Family Papers, 1813-1919 (Cage 65)
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Railroads -- Northwest, Pacific -- Records and correspondence.
- Tannatt, Thomas, 1833-1913 -- Records and correspondence
- Villard, Henry, 1835-1900 -- Records and correspondence.
- Oregon Railway and Navigation Company -- Records and correspondence
- Northwest, Pacific -- Emigration and immigration.
- Oregon Railway and Navigation Company. (creator)