A. Isabella Downs Scrapbook, 1910-1916 PDF
- Downs, A. Isabella (Addie Isabella)
- A. Isabella Downs Scrapbook
- 1910-1916 (inclusive)19101916
- 0.5 cubic feet, including 600 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Downs
- The A. Isabella Downs Scrapbook was assembled by Downs during her student years at Oregon Agricultural College and documents student life and the college environment during the mid-1910s. Downs attended Oregon Agricultural College from 1913 to 1916, when she completed a BS degree in Pharmacy.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Addie Isabella Downs enrolled at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in September 1913, attended for three academic years, and earned a BS degree in Pharmacy in June 1916. Downs was born July 22, 1896 in Kingston, Wisconsin; she graduated from high school in Silverton, Oregon; her hometown was listed as Canby, Oregon, when she enrolled at OAC.
Downs was working as a pharmacist in Oakley, Idaho, in 1917. She married Curtis Holt prior to 1971 and was living in Portland, Oregon, in 1971. Scholarships for students in pharmacy and marine biology at Oregon State University are supported by the Curtis and Isabella Holt Fund.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The A. Isabella Downs Scrapbook was assembled by Downs to document her student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) from 1913 to 1916. It includes clippings, dance cards, programs, ticket stubs, notes, various ephemera, and numerous photographs. The materials document student activities and the campus environment during the mid-1910s as well as other pharmacy students and the Class of 1916. Of special note is a student season athletic ticket booklet for 1915-1916 which includes ticket coupons for football, baseball, track, and other campus athletic events. The only item dated earlier than 1913 is Downs' 1910 report card for her 10th grade year at the Stayton, Oregon, school.
Most of the photographs are snapshots of other Oregon Agricultural College students. The scrapbook includes many images of women students; student outings to the Oregon coast, including Seaside; and campus events such as football games, commencement, May Day pageants, the annual tug-of-war, and homecoming. Photographs of snow on campus and students skating and playing ice hockey on a frozen lake are included. An image of flooding, probably near Corvallis, is also part of the scrapbook. Snapshots of picnics, camping trips, and an automobile driving through a dry landscape (perhaps Eastern Oregon?) are included; several images of women in the woods with a rifle (hunting?) are of special note. The scrapbook includes images of campus buildings as well as several structures in downtown Corvallis and the Presbyterian Church in Corvallis. Images of "Dad" and "Mother" Hunter, the cooks at Cauthorn Hall, are included, as well as several snapshots of women students on the Cauthorn Hall fire escape.
The scrapbook includes several non-OAC images of interest, one of which is a a group photograph of Junction City, Oregon, High School students. Several photographs of Native American children, adults, tepees, and a parade are part of the scrapbook; these images may have been taken in Wyoming.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
A. Isabella Downs Scrapbook (MSS Downs), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Pharmacy--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :