- Oregon State University. University Publications.
- University Publications Photographs
- 1890-2002 (inclusive)18902002
- 17.5 cubic feet, including 40,000 photographs, (36 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 094
- The University Publications Photographs consist of images taken or assembled by the publications staff for use in OSU catalogs, brochures, and other publications. They depict the full range of OSU academic and research programs and include images of students, faculty, and staff; campus buildings and views; Oregon scenes; research and teaching; athletics; and student life.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Office of University Publications began in 1912.The office publishes a variety of University publications, including the university's General Catalog; department and college brochures and pamphlets; student housing guides; posters and recruitment materials; and promotional items for special events.
Edwin T. Reed was the first college editor and served until 1943. Subsequent directors of the office included Delmer Goode, 1943-1956; J. Kenneth Munford, 1956-1977; Gwil Evans, 1977-1979; Tom Sanders, 1979-1984; Jeffrey Grass, 1984-2000; and Tina Chovanec, beginning in 2000.
Until 2000, the head of University Publications was also the director of the OSU Press.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The University Publications Photographs consist of images taken or assembled by the publications staff for use in OSU catalogs, brochures, posters, and other publications as well as in OSU Press publications. The images depict the wide variety of academic and research programs; students, faculty, staff, and administrators; campus buildings and views; Oregon scenes; athletics; and student life. Most of the images are not specifically identified.
The photographs include images of students and faculty in classrooms, laboratories, and on field trips and excursions; Corvallis street scenes, public buildings, and businesses; and special events such as commencement, homecoming, Pet Day, and Mom's and Dad's Weekends. Many of the images depict student activities and programs, student housing, fraternities and sororities, ROTC, recreational activities, and intramurals. Photographs of minority students, cultural activities, and the students, faculty, and activities of the Educational Opportunities Program (EOP) are included. The collection has images of notable speakers, performers, and other campus guests including Robert Packwood, Jesse Jackson, Jay Leno, the Harlem Globetrotters, and the Crazy 8's.
Photographers are not identified for most images; however, images by Robert W. Henderson, Walter Boychuk, Howard Sands, and the Oregon Highway Department are part of the collection.
The collection includes a variety of formats: black and white prints, negatives, and contact sheets; color slides; color prints and negatives; nitrate negatives; and a glass positive.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
University Publications Photographs (P 094), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
A small portion of the photographs in the collection have been assigned individual item numbers; the bulk of the collection is arranged by accession. Within accessions, the images may be arranged topically or chronologically and thereunder by topic.
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
Materials were transferred from the Office of University Publications in numerous accessions; the bulk of the materials were transferred between 1996 and 2006. Accession 96:031 was transferred from the collections of the former Horner Museum.
Additions to the collection are expected.
The Office of University Publications and OSU Press Records (RG 018) document the administration and activities of the office and provide detailed information about several OSU Press publications. The OSU General Catalog is available online.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Intramural sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Minority college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Educational Opportunities Program (Oregon State University) (creator)
- Oregon State College.
- Oregon State University.
- Oregon Agricultural College.
- Corvallis (Or.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Film negatives.
- Glass transparencies.
- Nitrate negatives.
- Photographic prints.
- Boychuk, Walter, 1886-1967. (creator)
- Henderson, Robert W. (Robert Wesley), 1914- (creator)
- Reed, Edwin Thomas, 1872-1948. (creator)
- Sands, Howard. (creator)
- Oregon State College. Office of the College Editor. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Office of Publications. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Press. (creator)
- Oregon. State Highway Dept. (creator)