- United Lutheran Church (Eugene, Or.)
- United Lutheran Church, Eugene, Oregon, Records
- 1926-2012 (inclusive)19262012
- 1 file
- Collection Number
- OPVELCA7a4_178 (collection)
- Collection contains the records of United Lutheran Church in Eugene, Oregon.
- Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Dr. Edward Thorstenberg, a University of Oregon professor, wrote, “Attnetion is called to the fact that there are in Eugene hundreds of people of Lutheran faith and ancestry who either do no understand any language other than English or who, at any rate, prefer all church services in the language.” Consequently, the United Lutheran Church of Eugene was organized on October 6, 1926 with 48 charter members. Pastoral care was requested of the Pacific Synod (ULCA), resulting in the call of Frank S. Beistel as the first pastor. A remodeled fraternity house became the house-chapel, providing worship and education facilities as well as a parsonage. On February 26, 1950 the cornerstone was laid for the new church. The growing congregation and enlarging ministry had created the need for additional properties and expansion of all facilities. In 1985 extensive remodeling was completed and additional parking provided. The addition of a Coulter tracker organ and a Steinway piano has enhanced the music program.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This folder contains a note on meeting E. Sakrison in 1975, a congregational historical record, a 50th anniversary booklet, a written history of the church, a flyer for a 22 day Heritage tour, a church relations visit summary, 75th anniversary bulletin, newspaper clipping, vitae Thomas. H Dodd, installation bulletin of Thomas H. Dodd 1995.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder
From the United Lutheran Church, Eugene, Oregon, Records, OPVELCA7a4_178, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Transferred to ELCA Region I Archives. .
To search and view digitized images of congregations, visit our Digital Assets Website
Nesvig, Swanson, Nordquist, Emerson New Partners. Old Roots.Tacoma (Wash.)ALC, LCA, and ELC1986
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Beistel, Frank S., 1927-1940
- Dodd, Thomas H.
- Epple, Charles A., 1949-1961
- Hallgrimson, Dan B., 1983-
- Johnson, Edwin J., 1941-1942
- LaMunyon, Weston W., 1961-1967
- Sakrison, Earl V., 1968-1982
- Sawyer, John L., 1942-1949
- United Lutheran Church in America. Pacific Synod
- Coulter Steinway
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--Oregon Synod
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
- University of Oregon
- Eugene (Or.)