Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
- Overview of the Collection
- Content Description
- Use of the Collection
- Administrative Information
Detailed Description of the Collection
- Letters from Edith Sitwell
- Letters from Osbert Sitwell
- Letters from Sacheverell Sitwell and other letters and papers
- Miscellaneous clippings, cut sheets and publications. Includes: Beaton, Cecil Walter Hardy, 1904-. Cecil Beaton: a catalogue of his paintings and photographs. [London, n.d.]. 11 p. front. port. Lists Cecil Beaton's photographs and paintings, with an appreciation by Osbert Sitwell (pp. 5-7). [not in Fifoot]
- Names and Subjects
Siegfried Sassoon Papers of the Sitwells, 1918-1957
Overview of the Collection
- Sassoon, Siegfried, 1886-1967.
- Siegfried Sassoon Papers of the Sitwells
- 1918-1957 (inclusive)19181957
- 0.5 Linear feet of shelf space, (1 Box)
- Collection Number
- Cage 165 (collection)
- Letters, clippings, postcards and pamphlets received from Edith, Osbert and Sacheverell Sitwell containing comments on English literary and social life. Included is a catalog of Cecil Beaton's work containing an appreciation by Osbert Sitwell.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Siegfried Loraine Sassoon CBE MC (8 September 1886 – 1 September 1967) was an English poet, writer, and soldier. Decorated for bravery on the Western Front, he became one of the leading poets of the First World War. His poetry both described the horrors of the trenches and satirised the patriotic pretensions of those who, in Sassoon's view, were responsible for a jingoism-fuelled war.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of letters, clippings, postcards and pamphlets received by Siegfried Sassoon from Edith, Osbert and Sacheverelle Sitwell containing their comments on the English literary and social scene. Included is a catalog of Cecil Beaton's paintings and photographs which contains an appreciation by Osbert Sitwell.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions on Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Siegfried Sassoon Papers of the Sitwells, 1918-1957 (Cage 165)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The letters and other papers received by Siegfried Sassoon were acquired by Washington State University Library in June 1975 from the House of El Dieff, N. Y., and who had purchased them at Christie's London, at the Sassoon sale of June 4, 1975.
Thomas Balston Papers of the Sitwells, 1924-1960 (Cage 9)
Edith, Osbert, and Sacheverell Sitwell Papers, 1917-1972 (Cage 531)
Nina Hamnett Papers, 1914-1953 (Cage 534)
Stephen Tennant Papers, 1929-1977 (Cage 643)
Ada Leverson Letters from the Sitwells, circa 1920-1935 (Cage 4669)
Stephen Tennant Papers, 1945-1953 (Cage 4722)
Edith Sitwell Correspondence, 1922-1964 (Cage 4793)
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Letters from Edith SitwellReturn to Top
Letters from Osbert SitwellReturn to Top
Letters from Sacheverell Sitwell and other letters and papersReturn to Top
Miscellaneous clippings, cut sheets and publications. Includes: Beaton, Cecil Walter Hardy, 1904-. Cecil Beaton: a catalogue of his paintings and photographs. [London, n.d.]. 11 p. front. port. Lists Cecil Beaton's photographs and paintings, with an appreciation by Osbert Sitwell (pp. 5-7). [not in Fifoot], undatedReturn to Top
Container(s): Box 1, Folder 16
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Poets, English -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- Sassoon, Siegfried, 1886-1967 -- Archives
- Beaton, Cecil, 1904-1980. (creator)
- Sitwell, Edith, 1887-1964. (creator)
- Sitwell, Osbert, 1892-1969. (creator)
- Sitwell, Sacheverell, 1897-1988. (creator)