Peace Lutheran Church, Silvana, Washington, Records, 1884-2012  PDF  XML

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Peace Lutheran Church (Silvana, Wash.)
Title
Peace Lutheran Church, Silvana, Washington, Records
Dates
1884-2012 (inclusive)
Quantity
1 file
Collection Number
OPVELCA7a5_391 (collection)
Summary
Collection contains the records of Peace Lutheran Church in Silvana, Washington.
Repository
Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, Washington
98447
Telephone: 253-535-7586
Fax: 253-535-7315
archives@plu.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is available for research

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Peace Lutheran is the result of a merger of two old neighboring congregations: Zion, founded in 1884; and Salem, founded in 1894. Zion was organized on February 25-26, 1884 with 19 Norwegian men present. Rev. Christian Jorgenson served as pastor and organizer. The first parochial school was held in the home of Rasmus Knutson. The picturesque setting on the hill above Silvana on which the church and cemetery are located was given by S. A. Erickson in 1884. Services were held in homes and schools until the church was completed in 1890. Known as the Little Church on the Hill, the building is still used by the congregation in the summer months and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Salem congregation was organized on April 30, 1894 when a minority group left Zion over a dispute with church practices. In 1897, members voted to federate with a newly organized Lutheran Church of America. The church was erected in 1898. Property for the church and cemetery was contributed by the members. Several propositions for a merger with Zion came up in later years, and on September 30, 1962, a majority voted to merge. In 1973, Peace, the merged congregation, purchased property for the site of the new church which was completed September 10, 1978.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

This folder contains a congregational historical record, a copy of the sermon from the 100th anniversary service, two bulletins from their 100th anniversary, a booklet from their 100th anniversary, a history of the church, various letters, a congregational statistical record, a newspaper clipping about the church, a federated parish agreement, a copy of a newspaper article about the church, letters of call, parochial reports, notes from the joint congregation meeting, a copy of notes from the committee of the constitution, a newspaper from the church, an informational booklet about the congregational mergers, a bulletin from 1998, a self-study from 1970, "The Making of a Chancel" booklet, personal information document of Bryan Christenson, a statistical report from 1961, various letters.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder

Preferred Citation

From the Peace Lutheran Church, Silvana, Washington, Records, OPVELCA7a5_391, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447

Administrative InformationReturn to Top

Location of Collection

Box 15 File 3

Acquisition Information

Transferred to ELCA Region I Archives. .

Related Materials

To search and view digitized images of congregations, visit our Digital Assets Website

Bibliography

Nesvig, Swanson, Nordquist, Emerson New Partners. Old Roots.Tacoma (Wash.)ALC, LCA, and ELC1986


Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

Subject Terms

  • Lutherans--Washington (State)--History

Personal Names

  • Borg-Breen, R., 1944-1946
  • Dahle, S. O., 1904-1906
  • Foss, L. C., 1894-1904
  • Isberg, 1890-1894
  • Larson, Georg, 1903-1908; 1930-1939
  • Myrwang, J. H., 1950-1960
  • Nyborg, James, 1969-?
  • Olson, Ole K., 1939-1945
  • Ross, D. B., 1928-1942
  • Tjernagle, H. H., 1903-1904
  • Baalson, H. B., 1907-1924
  • Blessum, George, 1924-1930
  • Christenson, Bryan, 1960-1962
  • Christiason, Bryan, 1960-1962
  • Clauson, B. O., 1913-1914
  • Driscoll, Jeffrey M.
  • Dyrud, Clemmence E., 1946-1952
  • Ellingson, Olaf, 1910-1913
  • Haukeness, O. J., 1952-1960
  • Jorgenson, C., 1882-1884
  • Kolden, A. O., 1914-1916
  • Mickelson, K. S., 1942-1944
  • Millage, Claude, 1962-1968
  • Millage, Claude, 1962-1968
  • Moen, T. J., 1894-1903; 1916-1924
  • Sheldahl, M. J., 1946-1949
  • Stadem, Christian, 1908-1910
  • Wogter, H. B., 1924-1927

Corporate Names

  • Salem Lutheran Church (Silvana, Wash.)
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church--Northwest Washington Synod
  • National Register of Historic Places
  • Zion Lutheran Church (Silvana, Wash.)

Geographical Names

  • Silvana (Wash.)

Occupations

  • Clergy