Oregon Central Military Road Company records, 1864-1877 PDF
- Oregon Central Military Wagon Road Company, Eugene, Or.
- Oregon Central Military Road Company records
- 1864-1877 (inclusive)18641877
- 1.2 cubic feet, (5 document cases and 1 custom box)
- Collection Number
- Mss 993
- Records of an Oregon company that constructed and ran a military road from Eugene to the Owyhee River. Records date from 1864 to 1877 and include correspondence, organizational records, legal records, road superintendents' reports, financial records, stock books, and certificates.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Oregon Central Military Wagon Road Company was incorporated in Eugene, Oregon, in 1864. Among its stockholders were some of the leading citizens of Oregon, including Simeon G. Reed and William S. Ladd. The company constructed and maintained the road, which ran from Eugene to the Oregon border near the Owyhee river. One of its superintendents was Byron J. Pengra (1823-1903). The final dividend of the company was paid out on January 11, 1877.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes correspondence, financial records, organizational records, stock books and certificates, and legal documents. The organizational records include a bound journal, mintues, treasurer's reports, and committee reports. Also included are road superintendents' reports; field notes of a preliminary survey of the road route by B. J. Pengra, 1864; stockholder records; documents concerning the case of the company vs. H. C. Victor; letters of B. J. Pengra and Ben Simpson; and bills and receipts.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library prior to any use of reproductions. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use of reproductions may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright holders.
Oregon Central Military Road Company records, Mss 993, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series A: Correspondence, 1865-1873Return to Top
Re: military escort
Re: Oregon Central Military Road Company vs. Victor
Letters from Byron J. Pengra
Letters from Ben Simpson
Series B: General files, 1864-1875Return to Top
Board of directors materials
Bonds for deeds
Minutes (ledger book)
|1867 May 24-1876 June 25|
Oaths of officers
Organizational records, including by-laws and minutes
Report of the recent survey and progress of construction of the Oreogn Central Military Wagon Road, by B. J. Pengra (Salem : Statesman Job Office, photocopy)
Road superintendents' reports by B. J. Pengra and W. H. Odell
Survey notes and report by B. J. Pengra
Series C: Financial records, 1864-1877Return to Top
Paid bills and cancelled checks
Check books (6 books)
Journal (financial records)
|1864 June 27-1877 January 11|
Series D: Stock records, 1864-1877Return to Top
Lists of stockholders
Stock certificates (filled in)
Cancelled stock certificates
Stock certificate book
"Stock book 'B'"
Stock transfer records
Strock transfer journal
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Military roads--Oregon--History
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Central Military Wagon Road Company, Eugene, Or. (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Eugene (Or.)--History
- Oregon Central Military Wagon Road
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Letters (correspondence)
- Stock certificates
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Pengra, B. J. (Byron J.), 1823-1903 (creator)
- Simpson, Benjamin, 1816-1910--Correspondence (creator)