• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

James F. Bishop Papers, 1940-1956

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Bishop, James Franklin, 1912-1997.
Title
James F. Bishop Papers
Dates
1940-1956 (inclusive)
Quantity
0.5 cubic feet, (2 boxes)
Collection Number
MSS Bishop
Summary
The James F. Bishop Papers were generated and collected by Bishop during his career as an Extension Agent with the Oregon State College Extension Service. Bishop graduated from Oregon State Agricultural College in 1934 with a B.S. in Agricultural Technology and worked in the Oregon State College Extension Service from 1943 until 1956.
Repository
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
Corvallis OR
97331-4501
Telephone: 541-737-2075
Fax: 541-737-8674
scarc@oregonstate.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Languages
English


Biographical NoteReturn to Top

James F. Bishop worked in several Oregon counties for the Oregon State College Extension Service from 1943 to 1956. James Franklin Bishop was born 5 September 1912 at Tigard, Oregon. He graduated from Oregon State Agricultural College (OSAC) in 1934 with a B.S. degree in Agricultural Technology. As a student at OSAC, Bishop was affiliated with Alpha Gamma Rho. In 1933, he was a charter member of the Phi Sigma, a recognition society in biology.

Between 1943 and 1955 Bishop served as Assistant County Agent in Coos County (1943-1944), County Club Agent in Marion County (1944-1947), Umatilla County Club Agent (1947-1949), and as the first City Extension Agent for Salem (1949-1955). Bishop then became a County Extension Agent at Large, a position he held until he resigned in September 1956 to become Public Relations Officer for George Fox College in Newberg. Later, he was employed by the Tigard School District. He was married to Elizabeth O. Bishop and died July 22, 1997.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The James F. Bishop Papers were created and assembled by Bishop during his career as an Extension Agent with the Oregon State College Extension Service. The bulk of the materials document his role as the first City Extension Agent for Salem from 1949 to 1955. The collection includes manuscripts, reference data, event records, correspondence, reports, and ephemera. The manuscripts include news releases, notes, census statistics, and 4-H program materials pertaining to conservation. The reference data include detailed guides and project notes for 4-H members and leaders, especially for 4-H clubs in the City of Salem.

The event records document 4-H contests, award ceremonies, recreational events, and tours as well as 4-H leaders' meetings and Extension Conferences. The correspondence pertains to 4-H club meetings and promotion. The reports include a 1951 plan of work for boys and girls 4-H clubs in Salem and materials assembled for monthly and annual reports. Promotional materials for a proposed municipal auditorium in Salem are also included. Two ephemeral items -- a patch with the name "Jim" and a plaque with a Guernsey cow and calf -- are also part of the collection.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Preferred Citation

James F. Bishop Papers (MSS Bishop), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top