Guy McLeod Richards Papers, 1887-1940 PDF
- Richards, Guy McLeod
- Guy McLeod Richards Papers
- 1887-1940 (inclusive)18871940
- 16 containers., (8 linear feet of shelf space.), (5500 items.)
- Collection Number
- Cage 58
- Correpondence, notes, diaries, scrapbooks, photographs, manuscripts, and magazine and newspaper articles of a dairyman, cattle breeder, agricultural magazine editor, freelance writer and reporter, and officer of various agricutural trade and lobbying associations. The papers document Richard's close association with Washington State politics and government, especially the Department of Agriculture; the Democratic Party; and the state agricultural college, now Washington State University.
- Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
These papers consist of the incoming and outgoing correspondence, notes, diaries, journals, photographs, scrapbooks, manuscripts, magazines and news articles created and collected by Richards as an agricultural journalist, trade association officer, dairyman and cattle breeder. The earlier papers, ca. 1900 to 1920, concern Richards' work as a manager or operator of dairy farms in Western and Central Washington, during which time he developed two pedigree lines of dairy cattle. The major portion of the papers, however, document Richards' editorial positions with agricultural magazines: Pacific Coast Dairyman, 1895-1898; Horn and Hoof, ca. 1905-1912; Northwest Dairyman and Farmer, ca. 1912-1920 and Fisher's Farm Forum, 1932. The papers also contain articles about the dairy industry which Richards reported for various Washington State newspapers as well as free-lance articles. Richards' offices in several dairy trade and lobbying organizations, notably the Washington State Dairyman's Association, the Washington State Holstein-Friesian Association, the Western Washington State Fair Association and the Pacific International Livestock Exhibition Association are also represented. The papers document Richard's association with state politics and government, especially the Department of Agriculture; the Democratic Party and the state agricultural college, now Washington State University.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item Description]. Cage 58, Guy McLeod Richards Papers. Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series 1: Correspondence of Guy McLeod RichardsReturn to Top
Series 2: Notes, Photographs, Writings and DiariesReturn to Top
Container(s): Box 5
Mementos, cards, invitations, notebooks and scrapbooks
Photographs of cattle, dairy operations, cattlemen, shows, exhibitions and fairs (contact print from nitrate 12-80)
Articles and newstories by Richards
Diaries of Guy McLeod Richards
Series 3: Washington State Holstein-Friesian AssociationReturn to Top
Correspondence and papers of officers of the association, prior to Richards' tenure as Secretary.
Series 4: Dairy Cattle reference materialReturn to Top
Photograph and production record file of individual cattle
Cattle sales catalogs
Pacific International Holstein-Friesian sale financial record
Herd Book and pedigree chart for Greenbank and DeKol lines of cattle
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Dairying -- Washington (State) -- History -- Sources
- Personal Names :
- Richards, Guy McLeod, 1867-1941--Archives (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- Democratic Party (Wash.)
- Washington (State). Dept. of Agriculture
- Washington State Dairyman's Association
- Washington State Holstein-Friesian Association
- Washington State University
- Occupations :
- Journalism, Agricultural -- Washington (State)
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Sauls, Virginia Richards, donor. WaPS (donor)