Asian & Pacific Cultural Center Records, 1987-2011 PDF
- Oregon State University. Asian & Pacific Cultural Center.
- Asian & Pacific Cultural Center Records
- 1987-2011 (inclusive)19872011
- 5.5 cubic feet, including 1100 photographs, (2 boxes, including 1 oversize box, and 4 map folders)
- Collection Number
- RG 245
- The Asian & Pacific Cultural Center Records document programs and events sponsored by the Center; students and staff active in the Center; and other student organizations associated with the Center. The Center was established at Oregon State University in 1991 to educate the campus and local community about Asian and Pacific Islander cultures.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
As the newest of the four cultural centers at Oregon State University, the Asian Cultural Center was established in 1991 by Oregon State faculty and staff who saw a need for the education of the campus and local community about Asian and Pacific Islander cultures and heritages. In 2003, the Center's name was changed to the Asian & Pacific Cultural Center (APCC).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Asian & Pacific Cultural Center (APCC) Records document the activities of the center and include event programs, newsletters, newspaper clippings, photographs, posters, panel displays, and digitized photograph albums. The photographs, posters, and panel displays comprise the bulk of the collection.
The collection provides information on various events organized by the APCC; Oregon State students active in the Center's programs; and other student groups associated with the APCC such as Hui-O-Hawai’i, the Taiwanese Student Association, the Japanese Student Association, the Hmong Student Association, Isang Bansang Filipino, the Polynesian Culture Club, and the Delta Phi Omega Sorority. The event programs provide information about the annual Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
About 1100 photographs (800 prints and 300 negatives) are part of the collection. They depict events organized by the APCC including Japanese Cultural Night, a skiing trip, an end-of-the-year barbeque, an inter-racial dating workshop, Sibling Weekend Events, and a food eating contest. Other images include views of the building housing the APCC and portrait shots of APCC members and staff. Most of the items are color prints and negatives.
The collection also includes a set of 46 posters and table-top display panels created by the APCC and other Asian and Pacific Islander organizations and clubs at Oregon State. These were featured at APCC events to publicize student associations; they also include general information about the APCC. Some of the panels are topic-oriented, addressing subjects such as: health issues in Hawai’i, the Chinese zodiac calendar, the voyages of Zheng He, and AIDS in the red light districts of India. Many of the posters include photographs. Digital photographs and descriptions of the posters are available online. An additional poster promoting the 2011 China Night event is part of the records.
Digitized versions of 8 photograph albums are available online. The albums depict APCC events and activities as well as Oregon State students and staff affiliated with the Center for 1987-2004. Most of the albums depict a one- or two-year period. The albums include images of holiday celebrations, including New Year events; social gatherings; cooking demonstrations; dance performances; retreats and workshops; and renovatations to the Center's facilities as well as newsletters. Other student organizations are documented in the albums, including the International Students of OSU (ISOSU); Vietnamese Student Association; Laotian Student Association; and Hui O Hawaii. The albums include images of the staff of other cultural centers at Oregon State as well as training offered by Diversity Development staff. The original albums have been retained by the Center.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Asian & Pacific Cultural Center Records (RG 245), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Asian American college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Asian students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Filipino students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Hmong Americans--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Minority college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Pacific Islander American students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Students, Foreign--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Vietnamese students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University. Diversity Development Office.
- Oregon State University--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Film negatives.
- Photographic prints.