Edward Anthony papers, 1924-1977 PDF
- Anthony, Edward, 1895-1971Marquis, Don, 1878-1937
- Edward Anthony papers
- 1924-1977 (bulk)19241977
- 32.0 linear feet, (22 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 653
- Edward Anthony (1895-1971) was a writer and collaborator, directed publicity for Herbert Hoover's presidential campaign, and became an editor and publisher, most notably for Collier's. The collection contains supporting materials for thirteen books, article and short story manuscripts, personal and business correspondence, and Crowell-Collier Publishing company material consisting of inter-office memos, financial, promotional material, and the professional and personal papers of Don Marquis.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections & University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.See the Current Collection Guide for detailed description and requesting options.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Edward Anthony (1895-1971) was born in New York City and joined the staff of the Bridgeport Connecticut Herald shortly after high school. He served in the war and was stationed at Camp Merritt from 1918-1919. After the war he worked for the New York Herald until 1923 when he became associate editor of Farm and Firesidee, a Crowell magazine. In 1928 he directed the publicity for Herbert Hoover's Presidential campaign. Shortly after Anthony married Esther H. Howard and had one son, Richard.
Afterward the campaign he contined to work for Crowell, first on staff at American Magazine and then serving as the press service director of the Crowell group of magazines from 1930-1942. In 1942 he was publisher of Woman's Home Companion for ten years and then continued as publisher of Collier's From 1949-1954.
After leaving Collier's, Anthony joined the Seventh Company, Inc., a New York statistical research organization, as public affairs counsellor. Anthony was also a consultant to American Girl Magainze for 25 years and acted as director of public relations for the War Advertising Council during World War II.
In addition to working in publishing Athony wrote short stories, plays, magazine articles, verse, and books. He collaborated with big names in the animal field, Frank Buck, Clyde Beatty, and Henry Trefflich, wrote a detailed biography of Don Marquis, an autobiography, and eleven other books. Three of his books were made into movies.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Edward Anthony papers, Ax 653, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors, American--20th century
- Publishers and publishing--United States--History--20th century
- Personal Names :
- Anthony, Edward, 1895-1971
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964--Correspondence
- Marquis, Don, 1878-1937
- Marquis, Don, 1878-1937--Correspondence
- Tunney, Gene, 1897-1978--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Crowell-Collier Publishing Company--Records and correspondence.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication