4-H Photograph Collection, 1913-1988 PDF
- Oregon 4-H (Program)
- 4-H Photograph Collection
- 1913-1988 (inclusive)19131988
- 6 cubic feet, including 9,600 photographs, (19 boxes, including 2 oversize boxes, and 1 map folder)
- Collection Number
- P 146
- The 4-H Photograph Collection documents Oregon 4-H programs, projects, and participants in agriculture, home economics, natural science, and recreational activities. The 4-H youth program is administered through the Oregon State University Extension Service and was established in the early 1910s.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary item-level container list available online.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
4-H is the youth program administered in Oregon by the Extension Service with the goal of developing citizenship, leadership, and life skills through experential learning programs in agriculture, home economics, natural science, engineering, and art. Oregon 4-H developed from industrial clubs established by individual schools in the early 1900s. F.L. Griffin was hired by the Oregon Agricultural College Extension Service as the first state leader in 1914. He was followed by H.C. Seymour who served as State Leader from 1916 until his retirement in 1947. Helen Cowgill and L.J. "Doc" Allen were instrumental, with Seymour, in the develpment of 4-H in Oregon.
Oregon was the first state to offer 4-H work in a metropolitan area when it established victory gardens on Portland school grounds during World War I. 4-H Summer Week on the Oregon State campus began in 1916 and brought youth from throughout Oregon to the campus in Corvallis. Oregon 4-H began participating in the International Farm Youth Exchange Program in 1951 and the 4-H Japanese Exchange Program was initiated in 1972.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The 4-H Photograph Collection provides extensive visual documentation of Oregon 4-H programs, projects, and participants from the founding in the 1910s through the 1980s. The collection consists of images of the 4-H Summer School on the Oregon State campus in Corvallis, including many group portaits of the participants by county; 4-H activities at the Oregon State Fair and the Pacific International Livestock Exposition; Oregon delegates to national 4-H congresses; a variety of 4-H projects including gardens, livestock and poultry, forestry, cooking and canning, sewing and needlework, and recreational activities; and participants in the International Farm Youth Exchange Program (IFYE) and the 4-H Japanese Exchange Program. The collection includes images of Extension Service staff for 4-H including Helen Cowgill, L.J. Allen, and H.C. Seymour. The collection includes several slide programs developed in the 1960s through 1980s highlighting 4-H programs and as instruction for 4-H projects. Two photograph albums include images of 4-H activities at the 1951 and 1957 Oregon State Fairs. Many of the photographs in the collection have detailed descriptions.
The collection includes a variety of formats; the bulk of the collection is black and and white prints. It also includes film negatives, nitrate negatives, slides, color prints, and photograph albums.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
4-H Photograph Collection (P 146), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- 4-H clubs--Oregon.
- Agricultural extension workers--Oregon.
- Agricultural extension work--Oregon.
- Farm life--Oregon.
- Home economics extension work--Oregon.
- Summer schools--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Youth--Societies and clubs--Oregon.
- Personal Names :
- Cowgill, Helen Julia
- Corporate Names :
- International Farm Youth Exchange.
- National 4-H Conference.
- Oregon State Fair.
- Pacific International Livestock Exposition (Portland, Or.)
- Geographical Names :
- Salem (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Film negatives.
- Nitrate negatives.
- Photograph albums.
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State Agricultural College. Extension Service. (creator)
- Oregon State College. Federal Cooperative Extension Service. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Extension Service. (creator)
- Oregon Agricultural College. Extension Service. (creator)