David Robert Marr Photograph Album, circa 1918 - 1922 PDF
- Marr, David Robert.
- David Robert Marr Photograph Album
- circa 1918 - 1922 (inclusive)19181922
- 0.2 cubic foot, including 93 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 232
- The David Robert Marr Photograph Album consists of photographic prints collected and assembled by Marr, documenting campus buildings and grounds and student activities during Marr's years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). David R. Marr attending OAC from 1918 to 1922, graduating with a BS in Commerce.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for initial encoding of this finding aid in 2004 was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
David R. Marr, of Dundee, Oregon, attended Oregon Agricultural College from 1918-1922, graduating with a BS in Commerce. He was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, was involved with the Glee Club during his freshman year and played cornet in the Orchestra and R.O.T.C. Band during his sophomore through senior years. After graduating it is believed that he was a music and/or band teacher at Shasta Union High School in Redding, California.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The David Robert Marr Photograph Album consists of photographic prints collected and assembled by David R. Marr, documenting campus buildings and grounds and student activities during Marr's years at Oregon Agricultural College. The collection includes several formal hand-colored campus photos taken by Ball Studio and Howell's Studio of Corvallis; snapshots of the R.O.T.C. Cadet band during their travels in Oregon; and various views of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the Junior Weekend Canoe Fete festivities. Also included are photos of Mt. Hood and waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge taken by Cross and Dimmitt and two postcard photos of the Canadian Rockies.
Of special note are several photographs of the Trysting Tree; interior views of a residence, that is likely the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity; and a hand-colored photograph depicting the Sigma Chi and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity houses and Shepard Hall. Several snapshots of children, probably taken during the band trips, are also included. Two photographs show the R.O.T.C. cadet band in front of the Library.
The collection includes 5 loose prints that are not affixed in the album. These include a hand-colored photograph of the Peacock Float in the Junior Weekend Canoe Fete on the Marys River; postcards of Lake Louise and Victoria Glacier (Canada) and Castle Mountain in Banff, Canada; a snapshot of a student crowd on campus; and a photograph of four men (including David Marr) posed in front of a building stairway.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
David Robert Marr Photograph Album (P 232), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Bands.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon. Oregon Alpha Chapter.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photograph albums.
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Ball Studio. (photographer)
- Howell's Studio. (photographer)