Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Winifred Considine Diaries, 1918-1963
- Considine, Winifred B. 1894-1985
- Winifred Considine Diaries
- .2 linear feet
- Collection Number
- Collection 0096, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Winifred B. Considine Diaries are typed transcripts that concern her activities on the Considine ranch, including her interests in horticulture and gardening.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Winifred Brackett of Sheridan, Wyoming, was born on July 4, 1894. She married Martin H. Considine (1882-1965) in 1914 and the couple settled in a log cabin on Martin's homestead in near Biddle (Powder River County) Montana. Martin (commonly called "Mart") raised horses, built fences, and carried mail along a route from Biddle to the Kruger post office in addition to general ranching. Winifred was interested in the plant life about her and the garden around their home responded to her care and knowledge. The yard of their home was one of a beautiful landscape based on native plants from the hillsides. In later years Winifred did a great deal of work with landscaping using domesticated plants and flowers. Winifred Considine died on March 17, 1985.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Winifred's diaries are actually typed transcripts, prepared by library personnel from originals Considine loaned in 1963 and which were returned to her. They concern her activities on the Considine ranch, including her interests in horticulture and gardening. Entries during the early years are sporadic and generally conform to the growing season (March-October), but as time progressed Considine began to record her experiences with more regularity throughout the year. Some entries are quite detailed, describing Mart's activities planting, harvesting, and working with cattle. Winifred describes her neighbors and her reactions to national news events as well as giving in depth accounts of what particular garden plants she worked with, the production of her chickens, and weather observations. The typed transcription has been completely paginated, and the transcripts are divided by years with the sequential page numbers included in the folder title.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Gardening-Montana-Powder River County
- Horticulture-Montana-Powder River County
- Ranch life-Montana-Powder River County
- Ranchers' spouses-Montana-Powder River County-Diaries
- Women gardeners-Montana-Powder River County-Diaries
- Considine, Winifred,-1894-1985-Diaries
- Considine, Martin H.,-1882-1965
- Biddle (Mont.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Diaries-Montana-Powder River County