Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Ozro P. Davis papers, 1888-1910
- Davis, Orzo P., b. 1865
- Ozro P. Davis papers
- 1888-1910 (inclusive)18881910
- 0.2 linear feet
- Collection Number
- The Ozro P. Davis Papers consist of four day books concerning his ranch and veterinary activities from 1902 to 1910. The first book also contains ranch accounts from 1888 to 1910.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ozro P. Davis was born on September 23, 1865 in Miami County, Indiana. He was the son of Oliver Davis and Maria (Gaffres) Davis. His father worked as a plasterer for the majority of his career, but turned to farming shortly before his death. After his father's death in 1872, the family moved to Bozeman. They lived on the West Gallatin until 1890 until the family purchased land near Salesville, Montana, in Gallatin County. Ozro lived in Wyoming from 1889 to 1892 and was engaged in the cattle business as well as learning to become a veterinary surgeon. He returned to the family ranch where he became a prominent rancher and cattle dealer. His ranch was well irrigated and he produced oats, barley, and wheat. In addition to his ranching, Ozro was a Mason and was involved in several civic activities.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Ozro P. Davis papers consist of four day books concerning his ranch and veterinary activities from 1902 to 1910. The first book also contains ranch accounts from 1888 to 1910. The books do not follow a strict chronological order and many of the dates in the second and third books overlap.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
(also included ranch accounts)
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Ranchers-Montana-Gallatin County
- Ranching--Montana--Gallatin County
- Veterinarians-Montana-Gallatin County
Form or Genre Terms
- Daybooks-Montana-Gallatin County