Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Johanna Gostas POW/MIA papers, 1968-1973
Overview of the Collection
- Gostas, Johanna.
- Johanna Gostas POW/MIA papers
- 1968-1973 (inclusive)19681973
- 4.5 cubic feet (10 boxes)
- Collection Number
American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming
American Heritage Center
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Ave.
- Access Restrictions
There are no access restrictions on the materials for research purposes, and the collection is open to the public.
- Additional Reference Guides
Finding aid available in repository.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Gostas, of Sheridan, Wyoming, was the Wyoming coordinator for the National League of Families of American Prisoners and Missing in Southeast Asia. Her husband, U.S. Army Major Theodore W. Gostas, was taken prisoner by the North Vietnamese during the Tet Offensive in February, 1968, and was released in March, 1973, following the signing of the Paris peace agreement in January, 1973. Johanna Gostas worked with national and state POW/MIA groups from 1968 to 1973, and was a National League of Families representative to a 1971 conference on prisoner of war treatment held in Geneva, Switzerland.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection contains correspondence, news releases, pamphlets, bumper stickers, newspaper clippings, and printed materials from various state and national groups related to Gostas' work on POW/MIA issues; correspondence from other POW wives and families; posters depicting Wyoming POWs; materials related to the Geneva conference; notes and drafts; and miscellaneous memorabilia.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions on UseCopyright Information
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Preferred CitationPreferred Citation
Item Description, Box Number, Folder Number, Collection Name, Collection Number, American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Subordinate Component # 1Return to Top
The American Heritage Center is in the process of converting its older container lists to a more accessible format. This link is to an older version of a container list.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Political activists -- Wyoming.
- Prisoners of war -- Family relationships.
- Prisoners of war -- United States.
- Prisoners of war -- Vietnam.
- Prisoners of war -- Wyoming.
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Prisoners and prisons, North Vietnamese.
- Gostas, Theodore William.
- Conference of Government Experts on the Reaffirmation and Development of International Humanitarian Law Applicable in Armed Conflicts.
- National League of Families of American Prisoners and Missing in Southeast Asia.
- Wyoming Cares POW-MIA.
- Sheridan (Wyo.) -- History.
- Wyoming -- History -- 1946-
- Political activists.