Archives West Finding Aid
R. FranklinThompson Personal Papers, 1949-1977
- R. FranklinThompson Personal Papers
- 1949-1977 (inclusive)19491977
- 4.0 linear feet, (four boxes)
- Collection Number
- This collection contains records documenting R. Franklin Thompson's activities in the Methodist Church both as a Methodist Minister and as President of the University of Puget Sound (1942-1973).
University of Puget Sound, Archives & Special Collections
Collins Memorial Library
1500 N. Warner St.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Dr. R. Franklin Thompson served as President of the University of Puget Sound for 31 years, 1942-1973, and five years as Chancellor. Thompson was a native of Nebraska and graduated from Nebraska Wesleyan University. He earned his Master's and PhD degrees in Divinity from Drew University. He was an ordained Methodist clergyman and active in the church nationally and internationally. He was president of the National Association of Methodist Colleges and Universities and a member of the Financial Commission of the Association of American Colleges.
He served as Vice President, Dean of Freshmen and Classics Professor at Willamette University, 1937-1942. He served as former Chaplain of the Oregon State Senate and Chairman of the Oregon Methodist Conference Board of Education.
In Tacoma, Thompson served as president of the Rotary Club and the World Affairs Council and as a member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Puget Sound, Pacific First Federal Savings and Loan Association, Washington State Historical Society, and Tacoma General Hospital. He was chosen to serve as a panel member for the selection of the President's White House Fellows in 1975. For several years he served on the Rhodes Scholar Selection Committee. Thompson is listed in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in Religion and other biographical sources.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports and other records relating to R. Franklin Thompson's affiliation with the Methodist Church. These include Mehodist Church committees and commission membership and directorships as well as his activity in the Pacific Northwest Conference.
An inventory of this collection is available in the archives.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Methodist Church--Washington (State)--Clergy
- Methodist universities and colleges--Washington (State)--Tacoma
- Thompson, R. Franklin
- United Methodist Church (U.S.).
- Washington (State)