Archives West Finding Aid
Methodist Missions Correspondence, 1836-1851
- Methodist Missions Correspondence
- 1836-1851 (inclusive)18361851
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- A selection of correspondence by multiple authors and received by Reverends R. Bangs, J.P. Durbin, and others, pertaining to missionary life and travel in California, Texas, New England, New York, Wisconsin, Panama, and Africa.
University of Puget Sound, Archives & Special Collections
Collins Memorial Library
1500 N. Warner St.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
A collection of correspondence from California, Texas, New England, Wisconsin, etc., about the rigors of missionary life and travel. Some of the most interesting letters deal with the sea journey from New York to Panama (overland) and north by sea to San Francisco and the Pacific Northwest. There is also a letter or two from missionaries in Africa.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Methodist Church--Missions
- Bangs, R., Reverend (correspondent)
- Durbin, John P. (John Price), 1800-1876 (correspondent)