Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
A Pioneer Tale, January 1954
Overview of the Collection
- Walrath, Adeline J. B. (Adeline Jerusha Brandenburg), 1874-1960
- A Pioneer Tale
- January 1954195401195401
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 1249, MtBC, us (collection)
- A Pioneer Tale Reminiscence is a brief typewritten account written January 1954 that details Adeline Walrath’s journey to Bozeman, Montana in 1881 with her parents and their first residence in a log cabin north of Main Street. She mentions Gallatin County treasurer Washington Franklin Sloan and his kindness to the Brandenburg family, and the birth of her youngest sister Mattie on Christmas day 1882.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Adeline Jerusha Brandenburg Walrath was born in Benton City, Missouri in 1874. She came to Montana with her parents, William T. and Mary Howard Brandenburg, in 1881. After attending local schools, Adeline graduated from high school as valedictorian of the class of 1891. She then embarked on a career as a school teacher and, on June 27, 1900 married Andrew J. Walrath, former Gallatin County superintendent of schools and a practicing attorney. The couple had no children. Following Andrew's death in 1929, Adeline lived briefly in Los Angeles, but returned to Bozeman where she worked as a nurse. She died in Bozeman in 1960.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
"A Pioneer Tale, January 1954" is a brief typewritten reminiscence recounting Adeline's journey to Bozeman, Montana in 1881 with her parents and their first residence in a log cabin north of Main Street. She mentions Gallatin County treasurer Washington Franklin Sloan and his kindness to the Brandenburg family, and the birth of her youngest sister Mattie on Christmas day 1882.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Families -- Montana -- Bozeman
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Montana -- Bozeman
- Overland journeys to Montana -- Personal narratives
- Sloan, Washington Franklin
- Walrath, Adeline Jerusha Brandenburg, 1874-1960
- Brandenburg family
- Bozeman (Mont.)
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel
Form or Genre Terms
- Reminiscences -- Montana