Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Ernest McCollum Diaries, 1908-1952
- McCollum, Ernest, 1886-1952
- Ernest McCollum Diaries
- 2 reels microfilm
- Collection Number
- Collection 357, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Ernest McCollum Diaries consist of volumes completed for each year from 1908 through 1952. The volumes for 1910 and 1925 are missing. The entries are quite brief, describing McCollum's experiences as a rancher and homesteader in Musselshell County and Rosebud County. A picture album and some pen and ink sketches created by McCollum are included on the microfilm.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ernest McCollum was born in Lewistown, Montana in April 1886. He attended local schools and a business college in Illinois. In 1910, he filed on a homestead in Musselshell County and met Bessie L. McClain, his future wife, at a dance. McCollum helped Bessie file for her own homestead near Ingomar in Rosebud County in June, 1912. While working as a ranch hand for the 79 Ranch, McCollum built a home on Bessie's claim and in 1913 the couple married. They moved to the Rosebud County homestead permanently in March 1916 and remained there until 1947. That year, the McCollums leased their ranch and moved to Three Forks, Montana where they operated a tourist camp. Ernest McCollum died on May 19, 1952.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Ernest McCollum diaries consist of volumes completed for each year from 1908 through 1952. The volumes for 1910 and 1925 are missing. The entries are quite brief, sometimes no more than a partial sentence, describing McCollum's experiences as a rancher and homesteader, first in Musselshell County, and later in Rosebud County. Weather conditions are noted in most entries, and the daily record is supplemented by cattle tallies and other financial notes. A picture album and some pen and ink sketches created by McCollum are included on the microfilm.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Original diaries and related memorabilia were loaned by Bessie McCollum, Three Forks, Montana, to Montana State University for microfilming in July, 1965. After filming, the diaries were returned, and their present location is unknown.
This collection was processed 2010 June 1
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Frontier and pioneer life-Montana-Musselshell County
- Frontier and pioneer life-Montana-Rosebud County
- Ranchers-Montana-Musselshell County-Diaries
- Ranchers-Montana-Rosebud County-Diaries
- Ranching-Montana-Musselshell County
- Ranching-Montana-Rosebud County
- McCollum, Ernest, 1886-1952-Diaries
- Musselshell County (Mont.)
- Rosebud County (Mont.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Diaries-Montana-Musselshell County
- Diaries-Montana-Rosebud County