Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Fort Keogh Collection, 1879-1884
Overview of the Collection
- Fort Keogh (Mont.)
- Fort Keogh Collection
- 2 items
- Collection Number
- Collection 1117, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Fort Keogh Collection
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Fort Keogh, Montana was first occupied in 1876 and officially designated Fort Keogh in 1878. It served as army infantry and cavalry post until 1900 when it was used as an army remount station. Keogh was converted to livestock experiment station in 1908 and during WWI was used as a quartermaster’s depot. In 1924 the Fort Keogh military reservation was transferred to Department of Interior and today the Range and Livestock Experiment Station of the Department of Agriculture occupies the fort in cooperation with the Montana Agricultural Experiment Station.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Fort Keogh collection consists of an Invoice of Subsistence Stores dated October 15, 1879, documenting the receipt of 45 head of beef cattle by Lt. Charles F. Roe from Capt. J. F. Weston, both of the Second U.S. Cavalry, along with leaf taken from a Fort Keogh commissary book (representing pages 41 and 42) that documents a requisition for supplies signed by Lt. T. F. Forbes, Fifth Infantry, to W.S. Ely, Fort Snelling, Minnesota on June 20, 1884.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
An original invoice issued by a member of the Fort Keogh garrison was donated to Montana State University by Oscar O. Thomas of Bozeman, Montana on June 27, 1975. A page from a Fort Keogh commissary book was donated to Montana State University by Harriette Cushman, also of Bozeman, sometime prior to 1978. It had formerly been assigned collection number 1251.
This collection was processed 2017 July 13