Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Hamilton Presbyterian Church Records, 1871-1904
Overview of the Collection
- Hamilton Presbyterian Church (Hamilton, Gallatin County, Mont.)
- Hamilton Presbyterian Church Records
- .2 linear feet
- Collection Number
- Collection 2421, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Hamilton Presbyterian Church Record contain meeting minutes of the church from 1872 to 1904. Also included in the records is a handwritten copy of a petition to end the Hamilton church in order to create the Central Park Presbyterian Church.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
An alternative form of this finding aid can be found at http://www.lib.montana.edu/collect/spcoll/findaid/2421.html
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Historical NoteReturn to Top
By 1865 a community called Hamilton was established as a stage stop near present day Manhattan. A post office opened in 1868. The town boasted of a school, blacksmith, a general store, and no saloons in addition to the Presbyterian Church. In 1883 the town moved closer to the railroad and was renamed Moreland. The town was later renamed Manhattan. The first pastor of the church was Sheldon Jackson, Superintendent of Territorial Missions in 1872.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational records contain meeting minutes of the church from 1872 to 1904. Also included in the records is a handwritten copy of a petition to end the Hamilton church in order to create the Central Park Presbyterian Church.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1/1||Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational Records||1872-1904|
|1/2||Hamilton Presbyterian Church Congregational Records||1901|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Presbyterian Church-Montana-Hamilton (Gallatin County)
- Central Park Presbyterian Church (Central Park, Mont.)
- Hamilton (Gallatin County, Mont.)-Religious life and customs
Form or Genre Terms
- Church records and registers-Montana-Hamilton (Gallatin County)