Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Michael Langohr Diary, 1899-1906
- Langohr, Michael
- Michael Langohr Diary
- 1899-1906 (inclusive)18991906
- 1 volume
- Collection Number
- The Michael Langohr Diary is a typed transcript of entries which describe his daily activities 1899 to 1906 as the first supervisor of the Gallatin National Forest in southwest Montana. Information includes synopsis of visitation to check on grazing and timber lessees, weather conditions, travel distances, as well as applications of varying sorts such as grazing and timber leases.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Michael Langohr was a U.S. Forest Ranger and supervisor of Gallatin National Forest at the turn of the twentieth century. He was born in Adrian, Michigan on April 14, 1860 and came to Montana in 1898. He ran a grocery store in Bozeman for a time, and began working for the forest service shortly thereafter. An avid gardener, Langohr began selling lettuce he grew in hot beds next to his house and expanded his business by building a greenhouse. He retired from his Forest Service job to run the nursery business full time in April, 1906. Michael Langohr died in Bozeman, Montana in 1935.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Michael Langohr diary is a typed transcript of entries which describe his daily activities as the first supervisor of the Gallatin National Forest in southwest Montana. Information includes synopsis of visitation to check on grazing and timber lessees, weather conditions, and travel distances. Entries are typically very succinct. Final pages record applications of varying sorts such as grazing and timber leases.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Typed transcription of original held by Gallatin National Forest Office, presented to them by Don M. and Louise Langohr, November 18, 1935, prepared by the Montana State College Department of History and Government in 1964 and deposited at Special Collections in October of that year.
This collection was processed 2009 February 5
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Transcript of Diary|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Forest rangers-Montana-Diaries
- Langohr, Michael-Diaries
- Gallatin National Forest (Mont.)-History-Sources
Form or Genre Terms