Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Margaret J. Maclean Letter, 1964 November 22
- Maclean, Margaret J., 1913-1997
- Margaret J. Maclean Letter
- 1964 November 221964112219641122
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 428, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Margaret J. Maclean Letter consists of a letter written by Maclean to her former neighbor, Mrs. Ray F. Turner of Ontario, California that describes her life as a sole proprietor rancher, with an emphasis on the difficulties in securing reliable help for her operation. Cattle handling preferences, hay harvesting, and family health matters are also mentioned.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Margaret J. Maclean was born on her family's ranch west of Conrad, Montana on September 9, 1913, the daughter of John S. and Mary Maclean. She received a teaching degree from Northern Montana College in Havre but only taught for one year before returning to the ranch where she lived the rest of her life. Maclean ended up inheriting the entire operation after the death of her parents and only brother, and for many years she ran all the ranch operations herself with the aid of hired help. An avid reader and passionate animal lover, Maclean worked hard to improve her cattle herd through scientific breeding methods and humane husbandry practices. She never married, and after her death willed considerable portions of her estate to the Humane Society of the United States, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and to the Great Falls, Montana animal shelter. She died in Conrad, Montana on April 11, 1997.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
On November 22, 1964, Margaret Maclean wrote a letter to her former neighbor, Mrs. Ray F. Turner of Ontario, California. In her letter, Maclean describes her life as a sole proprietor rancher, with an emphasis on the difficulties in securing reliable help for her operation. Cattle handling preferences, hay harvesting, and family health matters are also mentioned. Maclean expresses nostalgia for her childhood memories of growing up near the Turner family and gives salutations to all its members.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Animal welfare-Montana-Conrad
- Ranch life-Montana-Conrad
- Women ranchers-Montana-Conrad-Correspondence
- Turner, Esther-Correspondence
- Turner family