Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Benton County Bicentennial Commission Records, 1973-1977
Overview of the Collection
- Benton County Bicentennial Commission (Or.)
- Benton County Bicentennial Commission Records
- 1973-1977 (inclusive)19731977
- 1 cubic foot, (2 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS BentonCoBicent
- The Benton County Bicentennial Commission Records document the development of programs and activities on the Oregon State University campus, in Corvallis, in Benton County, and in Oregon to commemorate the bicentennial of the American Revolution. Oregon State University Archivist, Sarah J. Wilson, was chair of the Commission.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Benton County Bicentennial Commission coordinated programs and activities in Benton County to commemorate the American Revolution bicentennnial. Notable activities included restoration of the Philomath College Building (now home of the Benton County Historical Society) and bicentennial themes for the annual Benton County Fair and the Marys Peak Trek. Many bicentennial events were sponsored by the OSU Campus Bicentennnial Committee, including production of a film, Heart of the Valley; a year-long speaker series on the American Revolution; exhibits at the Horner Museum; and participation in the national Bikecentennial '76 event by arranging housing. OSU was designated as an official Bicentennial University under the National Bicentennial College and University Campus program.
Sarah J. (Sally) Wilson served as chair of the Commission and as a member of the OSU Campus Bicentennial Committee. Wilson was the University Archivist from 1969 until 1978.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Benton County Bicentennial Commission Records document the development of programs and activities in Benton County as well as in Corvallis and on the Oregon State University campus to commemorate the bicentennial of the American Revolution in 1976. The records consist of correspondence; grant proposals and funding requests; meeting minutes and reports; publications; and posters, certificates, and ephemera. The records document activities of the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Oregon, the OSU Campus Bicentennial Committee, and the Corvallis American Revolution Bicentennial Task Force.
The records include materials pertaining to the Northwest Trailblazers, the junior historians of the Oregon Territory; Bikecentennial '76 activities; and the National Endowment for the Humanities' American Issues Forum. Of particular note is the January 1976 issue of the Bicentennial Ethnic Racial Report, which describes ethnic racial bicentennial activities throughout the United States.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Benton County Bicentennial Commission Records, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The materials in this collection were arranged and placed in folders at the time this finding aid was prepared. There was no original order or arrangement and the materials were previously not foldered.
Additional materials pertaining to the bicentennial are available in the Memorabilia Collection. The Heart of the Valley film is available in the News and Communications Films (FV P 057).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- American Revolution Bicentennial, 1776-1976--Oregon.
- Cycling--United States.
- Bikecentennial, Inc.
- Horner Museum.
- Oregon State University--Centennial celebrations, etc.
- Benton County (Or.)
- Corvallis (Or.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Wilson, Sarah J. (Sarah Jackman), 1924-1978. (creator)
- American Revolution Bicentennial Administration. (creator)
- American Revolution Bicentennial Commission (Or.) (creator)
- Northwest Trailblazers. (creator)