Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Lewiston Hereford Association collection, 1934-1988
- Anderson, Anne
- Lewiston Hereford Association collection
- 1934-1988 (inclusive)19341988
- 0.5 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- MG 516
- Lewiston Hereford Association history, photographs, newspaper clippings, photocopies, and member information.
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In 1934 Bill Florence, Joe Thometz, Hreman Nordby, Ben and Ted Gehring, Ralph Baldwin, and Oreley Hannas were the founders of the Tri-State Agriculture and Livestock Association which would later become the Lewiston Hereford Association. Ben and Ted Gehring were among the early consignors in the first Lewiston Hereford Sale. Their bull, Perfect Alan, won Champion at the Grange Livestock Pavilion in East Lewiston.
In the early years of the Lewiston show, the average price for bulls was $100 and top steers were sold at four cents per pound. On March 22, 1945, Joe Thometz and other breeders formed the Lewiston Hereford Association for the purpose of selling Hereford stock at the Lewiston sale. The first officers of this association were Bill Platt (President), Ted Gehring (Vice President), and Ralph Nichols (Secretary/Treasurer). In 1984, the Lewiston Hereford Association observed their 50th Anniversary during the annual Lewiston Hereford Week.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Description of Item], Lewiston Hereford Association collection, MG 516, Special Collections and Archives, University of Idaho Library, Moscow, Idaho.
Newspaper articles are under copyright.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Series and folders arranged in alphabetical order.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: PapersReturn to Top
Lewiston Hereford Association sale program
33rd Annual Show and Sale
|February 20-23, 1967|
50th Anniversary program
|February 20-22, 1984|
Show and Sale program
|February 16-19, 1986|
Lewiston Hereford Week History
A history compiled and written by Anne Anderson.
Includes photocopies of newspaper articles.
Series II: PhotographsReturn to Top
Includes black and white prints, as well as colored with descriptions on a few of them.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Hereford cattle
- Lewiston Hereford Association
- Lewiston (Idaho)
- Anderson, Anne (fmo)