Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Gertrude Roskie papers, 1905-1971
Overview of the Collection
- Roskie, Gertrude, 1907-1965
- Gertrude Roskie papers
- 1905-1971 (inclusive)19051971
- 1.4 linear feet, (in 1 half manuscript box and 1 oversize flat box)
- Collection Number
- The Gertrude Roskie papers consist of memorabilia, academic records, and photos documenting Gertrude Roskie's education, career at Montana State College, and death. The bulk of the collection relates to Roskie's college education at South Dakota State University (SDSU), 1925-1929, and Stanford University, 1947-1953. Her academic records include a personal scrapbook, an SDSU yearbook, and Roskie's diplomas, transcripts, and course book. Additional materials include personal photos, employment contracts, and estate records following Roskie's 1965 death. Roskie began teaching at Montana State College in 1944 as a professor of home economics. In fall of 1958, she was appointed acting dean of the division of Architecture and Applied Art. She later served as Dean of the Professional Schools at MSU from 1960 until her death in 1965.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Gertrude Isabella Roskie was born on December 22, 1907 in Madison, South Dakota to George W. Roskie and Lina (Evans) Roskie. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Home Economics from South Dakota State College in 1929, a Master of Science from Colorado State University in 1938, and a Doctorate from Stanford University in 1959.
Throughout her career Roskie held many roles as an educator in the field of home economics. She worked as teacher training supervisor for Kansas State College, taught at the American Women's College in Beirut Lebanon, and served as state supervisor of home economics for the State Department of Vocational Education in Oregon. She also taught home economics, science, and art in several Montana towns including Glasgow, Miles City, and Helena.
Roskie began teaching at Montana State College in 1944, as a professor of home economics. In fall of 1958, she was appointed acting dean of the division of Architecture and Applied Art. She later served as Dean of the Professional Schools at MSU from 1960 until her death in 1965.
Roskie died in a car accident in 1965 north of Dutton, Montana. The campus dormitory, Roskie Hall, was built a year after her death in 1966 and named in her honor.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Gertrude Roskie papers consist of memorabilia, academic records, and photos documenting Roskie's education, her career at Montana State College, and her death. The bulk of the materials relate to Roskie's college education at South Dakota State University (SDSU), 1925-1929, and Stanford University, 1947-1953. Her academic records include a personal scrapbook, an SDSU yearbook, and Roskie's diplomas, transcripts, and course book. Additional materials document Roskie's 1965 death in a car crash north of Dutton, MT. These items include estate records compiled by brother George Roskie, newspaper clippings related to her death, and a guest book from her funeral service. There is a small amount of records documenting Roskie's professional career at Montana State College, which consist of employment contracts for the various positions she held at the college. The collection also feature photos of Roskie throughout her life and including pictures from childhood, college, and professional head shots of Roskie taken later in life.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Items in this collection are arranged in folders by topic and listed in alphabetical order.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||2||Birth Certificate||1907 December 22|
|1||3||Employment Records at Montana State College||1958-1965|
|1||8||Gertrude Roskie Letter to her Parents||1938 October 8|
|1||9||"Men and Women of Distinction," South Dakota State College|
|1||10||Newspaper Clippings: Gertrude Roskie career and death||1960-1966|
|1||11||Photos of Gertrude Roskie||undated|
|1||12||Stanford University Commencement Program||undated|
|2||1||Funeral Service Book||1965|
|2||2||Photo Album: France and Lebanon||circa 1930s|
|2||3||Photo Album: My College Days||1925-1930|
|2||4||Stanford University Diploma||1953|
|2||5||South Dakota State College Annual, The Jack Rabbit||1930|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College teachers
- Home economics teachers
- Traffic accidents--Montana--20th century
- Women college teachers
- Roskie, Gertrude, 1907-1965
- Montana State College--Faculty
- Montana State University--Bozeman--Faculty
Form or Genre Terms
- Albums (Books)
- Newspaper clippings
- Records (Documents)
- School records