Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
United States. General Land Office Homestead Certificate to William Chiesman, April 19, 1894
- United States. General Land Office
- United States. General Land Office Homestead Certificate to William Chiesman
- April 19, 18941894041918940419
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 0015, MtBC, us (collection)
- The United States General Land Office Homestead certificate to William Chiesman consists of an original homestead certificate issued to William Chiesman on April 19, 1894 and a newspaper clipping giving a biography of Chiesman.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
William Chiesman was born in Albany, New York and raised in Ohio and Tennessee. He moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota at the age of 24. He eventually operated a sawmill near the Montana border and later filed for a homestead claim in what is now Carter County. He eventually became a sheep rancher and member of the South Dakota legislature.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The homestead certificate number 301 on application 779 was issued to Chiesman on April 19, 1894. A newspaper clipping giving a biography of Chiesman is also in the folder.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Real property -- Montana -- Carter County
- Chiesman, William, -- Archives
- Chiesman, William, -- Biography
- Montana -- History
Form or Genre Terms