Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Northwestern Lumber Company collection, circa 1900-1935
- Northwestern Lumber Company collection
- circa 1900-1935 (inclusive)19001935
- 0.4 linear feet, (1 document box and 1 oversized box)
- Collection Number
- This collection contains photographs of logging operations in Washington state near Hoquiam, the Moclips River, and the Tacoma waterfront.
University of Puget Sound, Archives & Special Collections
Collins Memorial Library
1500 N. Warner St.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
This collection contains photographs of logging operations by the Northwestern Lumber Company and the Weyerhaeuser Lumber Company in Washington State near Hoquiam, the Moclips River, and the Tacoma waterfront.
The Northwestern Lumber Company was founded in 1882 as a sawmill owned by Simpson Lumber Company. It was known as Hoquiam Mill until 1984 when the name changed to Northwestern Lumber Company.
The Weyerhaeuser Timber Company was founded in 1900. In 1929 they built what was the largest sawmill at the time in Longview, Washington. In 1959, the word 'timber' was dropped from their name to better reflect their varied operations.
Mrs. C.H. Jones (Franke Tobey Jones) was the wife of the president of Northwestern Lumber Company. She gifted the University of Puget Sound $200,000 on her 78th birthday and in turn, Jones Hall was constructed and then named after her late husband.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains photographs of logging operations in the Puget Sound area of Washington state, including Hoquiam, the Moclips River, and the Tacoma waterfront.
Included is a photo album providing a photographic tour of Northwestern Lumber Company in the early 1900s.
In addition to the photograph album, this collection also contains 14 individual photographs. Of note is a photograph of a decorated street car in Tacoma labeled "July 4, 1911. Mrs. C.H. Jones." Franke Tobey Jones was the wife of the Northwestern Lumber Company president. She donated $200,000 to the University of Puget Sound for the construction of Jones Hall.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||Weyerhaeuser Lumber Co., workers and log||early 1900s|
|1||2||K.L.R.R. Lumber Train and workers||1910|
|1||4||Man on logs||early 1900s|
|1||5||Trees and logs||early 1900s|
|1||6||Stacked logs||early 1900s|
|1||7||Log in water||early 1900s|
|1||8||"Moclips by the Sea; Simonsview Co., Moclips WA"||early 1900s|
|1||9||"A glimpse of the MoClips River; Simonsview Co Moclips WA"||early 1900s|
|1||10||Logs and worker||early 1900s|
|1||11||Workers on logs in river||early 1900s|
|1||12||Women in buggy, "Rock Greenville point, WA"||early 1900s|
|1||13||Tacoma street car "Mrs. C.H. Jones"||1911 July 4|
|2||Northwestern Lumber Company Photo Album||early 1900s|
|2||1||"Pokegama Campsite, Weyerhaeuser Timber Co"||1905|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Logging--Washington (State)
- Sawmills--Washington (State)
- Hoquiam Mill Company (Hoquiam, Wash.)
- Northwestern Lumber Company (Wash.)
- Washington (State)