- United States. Army. Students’ Army Training Corps.
- Students' Army Training Corps Records
- 1918-1919 (inclusive)19181919
- 1 microfilm reel, (10 linear feet)
- Collection Number
- RG 060
- The Students' Army Training Corps (SATC) Records document this World War I training program at Oregon Agricultural College. The records include financial reports and contracts; correspondence pertaining to equipment purchases; course descriptions, instructors, and registrations statistics; and rosters of SATC participants.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The establishment of Students' Army Training Corps units was authorized by the Selective Service Act of 1917. The Students' Army Training Corps utilized the facilities, equipment, and faculty of colleges and universities to select and train officer candidates and and provide technical and vocational training during World War I. The unit at Oregon Agricutural College (OAC) formed in early 1918 and included officer trainees as well as draftees to be trained as toolmakers, foundrymen, machinists, auto mechanics, and radio operators. Dissolution of the Corps began with the armistice on November 11, 1918.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Students' Army Training Corps (SATC) Records document the U.S. Army's training program at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) during World War I. The records include financial reports and contracts between the War Department and OAC; correspondence pertaining to equipment purchases; commissary and mess hall reports documenting housing and meal arrangements for the SATC participants; information on the courses offered, lists of instructors, and registration statistics; and rosters of SATC participants.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Students' Army Training Corps Records (RG 060), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The records are arranged in six series: I. Financial reports, 1918; II. Correspondence, 1918-1919; III. Commissary reports, 1918; IV. Special claims, 1918-1919; V. Mess Hall reports, 1918; and VI. Rosters, 1918.
The records were acquired in the early-mid 1960s and microfilmed in 1967.
Substantial materials pertaining to the SATC are available in the Memorabilia Collection (MC-Students' Army Training Corps). The Army Specialized Training Corps Records (RG 059) document a similar program during world War II. The Ulysses Grant McAlexander Collection includes materials pertaining to World War I; photographs of military training at OAC during this period are available in Harriet's Collection.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- World War, 1914-1918--War work--Schools.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.