A. Freeman Mason Scrapbook, 1910-1922 PDF
- Mason, Albert Freeman, 1891-
- A. Freeman Mason Scrapbook
- 1910-1922 (inclusive)19101922
- 1 cubic foot, including 377 photographs, (2 oversize boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Mason
- The A. Freeman Mason Scrapbook documents Mason's student years at Oregon Agricultural College in 1910-1914 and includes photographs; dance cards, ticket stubs, and other ephemera; programs; clippings; and correspondence. Mason was editor of the Barometer campus newspaper and graduated in 1914 with a BS in horticulture.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Albert Freeman Mason, from Pasadena, California, attended Oregon Agricultural College from 1910 to 1914 and graduated in 1914 with a BS in horticulture. During his student years he participated in a variety of student activities, including the Delta Omega fraternity and the Glee Club; he was editor of the Barometer campus newspaper during his senior year. He also worked as a correspondent in Corvallis for the Oregon Journal and submitted articles on a variety of agricultural topics to the Journal.
Mason earned his master's degree from Pennsylvania State University (1915) and his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland (1929).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The A. Freeman Mason Scrapbook was assembled by Mason as a record of his student years at Oregon Agricultural College from 1910 to 1914. The scrapbook includes photographs; dance cards, ticket stubs, and other ephemera; programs; clippings; and correspondence. These materials document various aspects of OAC student life in the early 1910s including Mason's fraternity, Delta Omega; student organizations and outings; military activities; music groups, such as the Glee Club and Mandolin Club; student government; and the campus newspaper.
The photographs include snapshots as well as formal individual portraits and professional quality prints. The photographs include many images of students (individuals and groups) and student activities; athletes and athletic events, including football, baseball, track and wrestling; women's sports; campus buildings, including the construction of Langton Hall; military cadets; a May Day pageant; students on outings, playing in the snow, and canoeing; and a military parade in downtown Corvallis.
The clippings include articles written by Mason for the Oregon Journal about agricultural topics, such as growing and processing of hops and poultry farming. These clippings are accompanied by the original photographs that were published with the articles and the edited copy.
The scrapbook includes a few items from the period after Mason graduated in 1914; these are primarily photographs of students at Pennsylvania State University.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College sports for women--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Men--Societies and clubs--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student government--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Buildings.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.