Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Rockey, Cady Family missionary papers , 1887-2005
- Cady, Henry Olin, 1856-1916; Cady, Hattie Yates, 1867-1916; Rockey, Clement Daniel, 1889-1975; Rockey, Helen Cady; Rockey, Harold, 1927-2009
- Rockey, Cady Family missionary papers
- 1887-2005 (inclusive)18872005
- 12 linear feet, (8 boxes) : 7 record storage boxes, 1 oversize flat box
- Collection Number
- Coll 460
- The Rockey and Cady families were American Methodist missionaries to India and China, respectively. The collection consists of a small section of manuscripts and correspondence of both the Cady and Rockey families and a larger collection of published materials about India and China.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Rockey and Cady families were American Methodist missionaries to India and China, respectively. The marriage of Clement Rockey (1889-1975) to Helen Cady links the two families. Clement Rockey was born in India to Noble Lee Rockey, another Methodist missionary. He served as a missionary in India before being electing to the Episcopacy of the North India Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1914.
Helen Cady was the daughter of Henry Olin Cady (1856-1916) and Hattie Yates, American Methodist Missionaries to China. She is the author of stories and books including The Promise, a collection of stories adapted from the Souther Asia Methosidst Centenary Celebrations pageant of 1956.
Clement and Helen Cady Rockey had three sons, Harold "Hal" Rockey (1927-2009), Kenneth Rockey, and Lee Rockey.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of a small section of manuscripts and correspondence, including transcriptions and synopses, of both the Cady and Rockey families as well as a larger collection of published materials collected by the Cady and Rockey families. The collection was gathered by Harold "Hal" Rockey.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Methodist Church--Missions--China
- Methodist Church--Missions--India
Form or Genre Terms
- Manuscripts (document genre)
- Rockey, Harold, 1927-2009 (dnr)