- Anderson, N. H.
- Norman H. Anderson Papers
- 1955-2000 (inclusive)19552000
- 1.3 cubic feet, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS AndersonN
- The Norman H. Anderson Papers consist of materials created and assembled by Anderson in the course of his research and teaching career at Oregon State University. The collection includes narrative field reports of research on acquatic insects conducted at Mt. St. Helens after the catastrophic 1980 eruption. Anderson earned his MS degree from Oregon State College and was a Professor of Entomology from 1962 until his retirement in 1995.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Norman Herbert Anderson was a Professor of Entomology at Oregon State University from 1962 until his retirement in 1995. Anderson earned a BSA with Honors from the University of British Columbia in 1955, an MS from Oregon State College in 1958, and his Ph.D. from Imperial College at the University of London in 1961. Anderson specialized in aquatic entomology, specifically the study of insects in forest streams. He conducted research at Mt. St. Helens after the major eruption on May 18, 1980. Anderson taught a course in aquatic entomology which involved the collection of specimens from the Oak and Berry Creek watersheds in the OSU McDonald Forest.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Norman H. Anderson Papers consist of materials generated and assembled by Anderson in the course of his research and teaching career as a Professor of Entomology at Oregon State University. The collection includes article reprints, conference papers, correspondence, curriculum vitae, a doctoral thesis, employment records, flyers, grant proposals, newspaper clippings, research data, reports, and slide presentation scripts. Bound volumes of Anderson's research publications, journal reprints, and presentations at conferences and seminars comprise about half of the collection. These document Anderson's studies of orchard insects, aquatic insects of coniferous forest stream ecosystems, and the insect recolonization of streams in the post-eruption Mt. St. Helens region.
Of particular interest in the Papers are narrative reports of insect collection trips made by Anderson to Mt. St. Helens from 1980 to 1991, following the catastrophic May 18, 1980 eruption. In these descriptive log entries, Anderson details the types of specimens found, the post-eruption landscape, colleagues joining him on these trips, and the process of taking samples for research. The research data primarily pertains to studies at Ape Canyon in the vicinity of Mt. St. Helens. Correspondence included with the data offers a glimpse into the procedures required to gain access from the U.S. Forest Service to the blast zone in order to conduct research.
The collection includes a copy of Richard Meyerhoff's doctoral dissertation, Post-Eruption Recovery and Secondary Production of Grazing Insects in Two Streams Near Mt. Saint Helens, which is also available online. Biographical information, including a list of Anderson's publications, is included with Entomology Department reviews and accreditation reports that are part of the collection.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Norman H. Anderson Papers (MSS AndersonN), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
The materials were transferred to the Special Collections & Archives Research Center in 2012 by Anderson.
The Entomology Department Records (RG 027) and Photographs (P 055) provide extensive documentation of entomology research and teaching at Oregon State University. The Special Collections & Archives Research Center's holdings include the papers of many entomologists, including Ralph Berry, Louis G. Gentner, Merton Lane, John D. Lattin, Charles H. Martin, James McIver, Hugh E. Morrison, Paul W. Oman, Frank J. Radovsky, Paul Ritcher, Robert G. Rosenstiel, and Herman A. Scullen. Volcanic Ash Information Sheets (PUB 454), published by the Oregon State University Extension Service in the summer of 1980, are available in the Special Collections & Archives Research Center and online.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Aquatic insects--Oregon--Benton County.
- Entomology--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Insect populations--Washington (State)--Longitudinal studies.
- Insects--Behavior--Washington (State).
- Riparian ecology--Washington (State)--Longitudinal studies.
- Stream ecology--Washington (State)--Saint Helens, Mount, Region.
- Oregon State University. Dept. of Entomology.
- Saint Helens, Mount (Wash.)--Eruption, 1980.
- Meyerhoff, Richard Dietrich. (creator)