Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Christopher C. Wolf Postcards and Family Photographs, 1896-1946
Overview of the Collection
- Wolf, Christopher C., 1892-
- Christopher C. Wolf Postcards and Family Photographs
- 1896-1946 (inclusive)18961946
- .25 Linear Feet of Shelf Space, (1 box), (102 items)
- Collection Number
- PC 21 (collection)
- Chris Wolf was a lifelong farmer and rancher in Garfield Country Washington. The bulk of the collection consists of postcards consisting mostly of scenes from various towns in eastern Washington and eastern Oregon and Idaho.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Chris Wolf, the son of Edward Wolf who homesteaded on Goose Neck Road in the Peola country of Asotin and Garfield countries in the 1890’s, was born in 1892. A lifelong farmer and rancher, Wolf built a homestead into a large ranch of nearly 7,000 acres through a series of fortuitous purchases. His success as a farmer he attributes to his early use of the gasoline tractor and the building of a superior heard of cattle through selective breeding. In 1917 Wolf married Miss Alice King. In addition to being a farmer, Wolf was a director of the Peola school district for eight years, served as a Garfield County commissioner and port commissioner, and was one of the original organizers of the Garfield County Memorial Hospital.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The bulk of the collection consists of postcards addressed to Alice King or Chris Wolf. The images on these postcards consist mostly of scenes from various towns in eastern Washington and eastern Oregon and Idaho, such as Pendleton, Oregon, Pomeroy, Washington and Lewiston, Idaho. Many of the postcards are of the novelty variety.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Christopher C. Wolf Postcards and Family Photographs, 1896-1946 (PC 21)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The postcards are arranged chronologically with undated cards filed first.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||Postcards: undated or illegible, 1908, 1909, and 1910
|1||2||Postcards: 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, and 1918
|1||3||Wolf family photos
|1||4||Unidentified and miscellaneous postcards and photos
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- King, Alice -- Photographs.
- Wolf, Christopher C., 1892- -- Photographs.
- Wolf Family -- Photographs.
- Idaho -- Photographs.
- Lewiston (Idaho) -- Photographs.
- Oregon, Eastern -- Photographs.
- Pendleton (Or.) -- Photographs.
- Pomeroy (Wash.) -- Photographs.
- Washington (State), Eastern -- Photographs.