- Sutton, Whitney & Aandahl
- Sutton, Whitney and Aandahl Architectural records
- 1912-1935 (inclusive)19121935
- 0.1 linear feet, (78 pieces)
- Collection Number
- Bx 172
- Sutton, Whitney and Aandahl Architects practiced in Portland, Oregon and San Francisco, California. The collection contains 78 architectural plans.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The architectural firm of Albert Sutton and Harrison Allen Whitney operated in Portland, Oregon from 1912-1950. After 1934 the firm name included Fred Aandahl, who had been a chief draftsman (1919-1923) and Associate (1923-1934). Sutton (1866-1923) was born in Portland, Oregon and educated at the University of California, Berkeley. His architectural career began in Portland, and continued in San Francisco. His partnership with Whitney began in 1912 in Portland, though he lived, first, in Hood River and then in Tacoma, Washington. Whitney (1875- ) was a native of Iowa and educated at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He came to Portland, Oregon, in 1904. When the firm of Sutton, Whitney and Aandahl wad dissolved in 1951, Whitney became the senior member of Whitney, Hinson and Jacobsen. Fred Aandahl (1887- ) was born in Norway, and trained there as a draftsman.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection comprises architectural renderings and views, including some of Sutton and Whitney's better-known buildings: Emanuel Hospital, Shriners Hospital, Good Samaritan Hospital, the University of Oregon Medical School, and the Masonic Temple, all in Portland.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Architects--Oregon--20th century
- Architecture--Oregon--Portland--History--20th century--Designs and plans
- Hospitals--Designs and plans
- Aandahl, Fred (Fredrick Smith), 1887-
- Sutton, Albert, 1866-1923
- Whitney, Harrison Allen, 1875-
- University of Oregon