Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Asklepiads Pre-Med Society records , 1929-1983
- Asklepiads Pre-Med Society
- Asklepiads Pre-Med Society records
- 1929-1983 (inclusive)19291983
- 0.25 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 half manuscript box
- Collection Number
- UA 207
- The Asklepiads Pre-Med Society is a student-run organization at the University of Oregon open to all students interested in the medical field. The collection (1929-1983) contains meeting minutes, ritual, photographs, and treasurer's reports.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The modern Asklepiads Pre-Med Society is a student-run organization at the University of Oregon open to all students interested in the medical field. The UO honorary society was founded by pre-medical students in 1929, and they selected the name themselves, and Professor Huestis as their first advisor.
The student council granted a charter to the organization in 1930. Women were not allowed to be members until 1970, when the first female members were initiated.
In October 1935, the group made arrangements with a local doctor (Dr. Hurley) to observe an operation each week. An organized preceptorship program was started in 1973.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes one record notebook and one secretary/treasurer's book.
The record notebook (1929-1944) is organized by school year and includes minutes, ritual, roll call, treasurer's reports, membership information, and a few photographs and clippings. Included here is a record of the founding meeting.
The secretary/treasurer's book (1957-1983) is organized by date, and contains event, meeting, and transaction information. Included are minutes, a recording of fee's and special donations, financial reports, membership information, and a photograph.
The photographs are either pasted to pages, or loose inside the books.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Asklepiads Pre-Med Society records|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Medical education--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Premedical education--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Student activities--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- University of Oregon--Students
Form or Genre Terms