Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
General County Highway Maps, 1951-1963
- Oregon. State Highway Department.
- General County Highway Maps
- 1951-1963 (inclusive)19511963
- 0.5 cubic feet, including 70 maps, (1 oversize box and 1 map folder)
- Collection Number
- MAPS CountyHwy
- The General County Highway Maps consist of highway maps of several Oregon counties prepared by the Oregon State Highway Department in cooperation with the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads. The maps also include detailed maps of key areas within the counties, such as towns and junctions. The maps provide information on roads, streams, buildings, cities, county population, local landmarks and other key features. The collection includes maps for Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Harney, Lane, Lincoln, Polk, Tillamook, and Yamhill Counties.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The General County Highway Maps consist of highway maps of several Oregon counties, primarily in western Oregon with the exception of Harney County, prepared by the Oregon State Highway Department in cooperation with the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads. Maps are included for Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Harney, Lane, Lincoln, Polk, Tillamook, and Yamhill Counties. Data for the maps was compiled from a statewide highway planning survey. General maps of the county as well as additional sheets with more detailed maps of key locations such as towns and highway junctions are included. Maps of several scales are part of the collection. The full county maps range from 1:62,500 (1 inch = 1 mile) to approximately 1:150,000 (1 inch = 2+ miles); the more detailed maps are at approximately 1:20,000 scale.
The maps provide detailed information about the condition and type of roads (impassable, primitive, unimproved, graded, gravelled, or paved) as well as whether the roads are public or private. The maps depict the locations of bridges, transportation lines, airfields, mines, camp areas, parks, and power plants and include information on land features, city and town locations, county populations, and some city populations. Public structures such as schools, churches, hospitals, and businesses as well as personal dwellings are shown on the maps.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
General County Highway Maps (MAPS CountyHwy), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is arranged in one series: I. General County Highway Maps, 1951-1963.
These materials were transferred from the Oregon State University Libraries' maps collection to the Special Collections & Archives Research Center in 2014.
The Special Collections & Archives Research Center's holdings also include Oregon State Highway Maps, 1918-1991 (MAPS ORStateHwy), Highway Maps of Oregon Counties, 1965-1976 (MAPS Highway), Oregon State Highway Division Maps of Oregon Cities and Towns, 1969-1989 (MAPS ORCities), and Oregon Transportation Maps, 1940-1944 (MAPS ORTransport).
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: General County Highway Maps, 1951-1963Return to Top
Series I consists of maps of Oregon counties arranged in alphabetical order.
All maps at 1:62,500 scale. These 6 maps cover only the southern portion of Harney County. The remainder of the 13 maps that cover the full county are not part of this collection.
Includes one sheet of the full county at 1:62,500 scale and 4 sheets with more detailed views of towns and junctions.
Includes one sheet of the full county at 1:62,500 scale and 3 sheets with more detailed views of towns and junctions.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Clatsop County (Or.)--Maps.
- Columbia County (Or.)--Maps.
- Coos County (Or.)--Maps.
- Curry County (Or.)--Maps.
- Douglas County (Or.)--Maps.
- Harney County (Or.)--Maps.
- Lane County (Or.)--Maps.
- Lincoln County (Or.)--Maps.
- Polk County (Or.)--Maps.
- Tillamook County (Or.)--Maps.
- Yamhill County (Or.)--Maps.
Form or Genre Terms
- Transportation maps.
- United States. Bureau of Public Roads. (creator)