Heber Hyder Davis papers, 1876-1940 PDF
- Davis, Heber Hyder, 1854-1942
- Heber Hyder Davis papers
- 1876-1940 (inclusive)18761940
- 1.3 linear feet, (1 clamshell box)
- Collection Number
- Ax 131
- Heber Hyder Davis was a member of the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City, Utah. This collection consists of four bound volumes, two sets of written texts by Heber Hyder Davis. The first set of journals consists of his mission years, the second, various trips across the United States and various genealogical data written in an older hand.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Heber Hyder Davis, a member of the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City, Utah, was born there on November 16, 1854, and died November 29, 1942. He was a missionary to England from the years of 1899 to 1901. He was born to Edward William Davis and Sarah Elizabeth Hyder and was a church Elder in his later years.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection consists of four journals in Heber Hyder Davis' hand, two of them from his mission years in England, including many detailed descriptions of his days, the first covering the years 1899 to 1900, the second covering 1900 to 1901, ending with the day he visited Buckingham Palace and saw the King of England. This text consists of many inserts including a flyer from "The Oldest House in England", a handwritten prayer, receipts, shopping lists, and a flower bud, appears to be a flower in the dandelion family. The second set of volumes are inscribed Trips Book 1 and 2, the first starting February 15, 1901, continues his time in Great Britain, and covers his many travels across the country, most specifically Oregon and California in 1937. The second Trips Book has many genealogical and "Elder Quorum" entries in the beginning and end of the volume, many undated but appear to begin in 1876. In the middle of the volume are Heber Hyder Davis' handwritten accounts of many automobile trips across the country and his health, covering the years 1925-1940.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Heber Hyder Davis papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Form or Genre Terms :